U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 5,089 times

Advertisements

I have not had great success in previous years in growing flowers in my gardens. The soil is hard and if I dig a hole and
put in new soil and a growth additive (Miracle grow etc.)for each plant I have not had great success. I would like to buy new soil for all my gardens. I would need soil for 400 sq. feet of gardens.
How many cubic feet of soil should I buy? What type of soil should I ask
for? Can you recommend a reasonable priced place to buy the earth in
Thornhill or GTA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 04:36 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,676,562 times
I think you need to amend the soil with some compost. when using the miracle grow etc after a time the soil gets hard on the top and gets sort of dry looking

You could amend it with some grass clippings, dried pine needles, leaf mulch, dried manure and dig and stir this all in to your existing dirt. ( I know its alot of work )

If you are going to buy new soil, use other methods for fertilizers as the miracle grow and others will form the crust and hardness again

Don't know about the cubic feet tho

Old 05-03-2009, 08:38 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,448,782 times
I too was going to say compost.

some folks even bury their kitchen scraps right into the ground. that and coffee grounds.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:45 AM

604 posts, read 4,469,982 times
You can buy compost (cow manure) in a 40lb bag from HD for under $1.50/bag. I would buy that and some peat moss (be careful the bag is suctioned so there is a lot more in there that you realize) and add that to the garden each time you plant something new. Mix it together with the soil.

Dh did a "butterfly garden" for the kids (ok, me) and it is 10'x20' on a slope 2" -14" high. Took 80 bags of soil/compost + 2 bales peat moss.

I thought about getting bulldozer "scoops" of compost from a local co, but that would have been alot of shoveling. They sell by the cubic yard (9 sq feet)Hubby just dumped bags where i needed them and I cut them. Price wasn't that different so i went with bags (1 cu. foot)

400 sq' garden - if you want 2" depth you'll need about 66 bags (400 * 1/6)

Last edited by tamcim72; 05-08-2009 at 07:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden