Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 08:49 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,204,465 times

Advertisements

Is there a type of ivy that is "safe" to allow to grow on brick?

I live just outside of Charleston, SC, and whenever I walk through the historic districtcs, I always see ivy growing on brick walls, even on the vertical part of house steps. I've ben told by someone who did the carriage tour of the city that apparently this ivy is safe for brick, and will not harm your house.

Any idea what they could be referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 12:42 AM

855 posts, read 2,395,816 times
English Ivy has tendrils that will penetrate through cracks and gaps in the mortar between bricks and can damage it over time. If I recall correctly, Boston Ivy is considered the "safer" one as it attaches to the surface rather than growing through cracks.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:39 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata) is related to Virginia Creeper and really isn't an ivy at all. But it does cling to brick and siding and does far less damage than English Ivy (Hedera helix).

Old 05-06-2009, 05:47 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,204,465 times
Thanks for the replies! I've been doing some research on it, and determined that Creeping Figwas the particular vine I saw. However, people either claim it is harmless, or dangerous.

Do you happen to know how safe it is versus Boston Ivy? I'm looking for something that would survive in the Charleston, SC area - I have a trellis right near my side garage, just think it would look lovely with something growing on it (preferably something that will stay green year round down here, which doesn't seem too impossible).

Old 05-06-2009, 06:25 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Is there a type of ivy that is "safe" to allow to grow on brick?

I live just outside of Charleston, SC, and whenever I walk through the historic districtcs, I always see ivy growing on brick walls, even on the vertical part of house steps. I've ben told by someone who did the carriage tour of the city that apparently this ivy is safe for brick, and will not harm your house.

Any idea what they could be referring to?
Ordinary English ivy is perfectly safe for brick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden