Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 06:12 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times

Advertisements

If you are given some plants from a friend, and don't know what the heck the plant is... or you planted something and completely FORGOT what it was you planted... How do you all go about figuring out what the gosh darn plant happens to be? I have a few nameless friends in my garden and I am hoping to give them a proper title...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 06:22 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
He didn't get the seeds from a little baggie that smelled funny did he ?

If it grows more than 8 ft tall & the birds get dizzy from eating the seeds give me a call.

I'll come chop it down and get it out of your garden. Free !

Old 06-25-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
He didn't get the seeds from a little baggie that smelled funny did he ?

If it grows more than 8 ft tall & the birds get dizzy from eating the seeds give me a call.

I'll come chop it down and get it out of your garden. Free !
LOL

Uh, no.... there is one, about 24 inches with a rather large purple bloom at the end... that needs to be split every once in a while...

Then there is another with a pretty pink flower- my daughter says wraps around her nose- and it spreads like crazy...

Another one I would like to just dig right out but that stubborn guy keeps finding his way right back and the root system is a nasty mess... fuzzy mini fern like branches with a small light pink bloom at the top... can't even remember where I got it! I think of it as a pesky weed personally... I know, tsk tsk tsk... but I can't stand it...

I am big on saving plants... if someone doesn't like what they planted they usually give to me to find a good home for it... I have a big heart LOL or maybe just a big garden

Old 06-25-2008, 06:34 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Can you post pictures? Some of us may be able to identify them.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:24 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Take some photos and go to your local garden center for identification, or as M in arkansas said post some pics.
Let the guessing games begin....

Old 06-26-2008, 06:37 AM

When I get a chance I will go and take a few pics of my beloved plants and hopefully you all will be able to play a part in the naming process!

My plants are my babies so that is a bit of a joke... maybe I am the only one laughing at LOL...

Old 06-26-2008, 11:50 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
I have a flower bed like that. Most things I know, but a few popped up by themselves - about a dozen zinnias reseeded from last year, and I have a few spider plants the seeds of which that must have blown in on the wind because I didn't have any before, and to my knowledge none of the immediate neighbors have them either. I recognized them when they sprouted, so left them alone when weeding. However, I have a couple of other things growing strong that I do NOT recognize! what fun, to find such surprises in one's garden. I'm still waiting to see if they will bloom.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:35 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,148 times
No you're not the only one laughing skbs .. I got a kick out of your thread title ..

I can relate, as I know what I like, but don't know the names of half of them.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:35 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I usually know what I have planted and try to keep labels but sometimes they get moved or lost. Or sometimes I just plain forget as my little gray cells are getting on up there in age. HOWEVER I have learned from experience to never accept and plant just anything somebody gives me. I always say thank you and then keep it in the pot to see what it will do and so I can take it to nursery for identification. A "friend" once gave me a plant with rattlesnake weed in it. This devil weed has practically taken over my garden. I'm sure my friend was not aware of this noxious weed but boy do I regret taking this Trojan Horse.

Also I had koi ponds installed by a young man who knew ponds but not plant material. He brought into my garden a type of celery which has become invasive and I cuss him every time I try to yank it out. So be careful what you plant in your garden. Gardeners are gracious and sharing folks but don't always know what they are sharing-good or bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden