Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 10:37 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,525,886 times

Advertisements

My backyard neighbors have a maple tree that is one of the few left after the builder cleared for the subdivision. It has major dead limbs at the top and various others spread about the tree. About three years ago when we moved in I treated it with a Bayer product which was a one year treatment. Since then we have watched many limbs come down with wind and rain storms. I felt from the start that there was no hope of saving it. When they built the house behind us and the new neighbors moved in we talked about it probably being dead, and since it is sort of shared by both of us, even tho it is on their property, we would help with the cost of taking it down. They had a couple of estimates one being $1600. Another person said it was still viable and with some manicuring (taking all the dead branches off) it would make it. This for $850. Have any of you had an experience of this nature? I hate to invest any money if it is pointless and it will die in a couple of years. And yes I am worried that it may come down and damage someone's fencing or landscaping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 11:16 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
It is best to have an arborist take a look at the tree and see what they think. We were faced with a similar problem a couple of years ago, and decided to remove the tree because a windstorm had cracked the trunk. It could have been bolted to reinforce it but the arborist predicted it would have rotted out from water entering the crack in a couple of years, so it wasn't worth the expense. We hated to loose the tree though because it shaded the West side of our house, which needs the shade in the summer time.

This website has some good information on what to look for to see if your tree is sick. Save A Tree - Home

Here are some others that might help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden