Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 08:36 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,611,121 times

Advertisements

Hi all -
I am pulling my hair out over redoing our front flower bed. This is how it looks now... well a week ago. The cherry laurels at the foundation of the house are just not performing well and the junipers are getting out of hand (they have been cut back). It is hard to see this from the photo. However, everything is coming out except the large holly bushes/trees (?) on each corner of the house.

I'd like to put azaleas in the flower bed. But I don't know if I should put them at the foundation where the laurels were or in the front where the junipers were. I typically do an annual flower rotation. Color of the azaleas is important since I don't want them to clash with the orange brick of the house or annuals I plant (I guess??) What shrubs would you use with the azaleas? I had bought small hollys to replace the junipers, but now I'm not so sure.

The next door neighbor's house that is attached to mine has boxwoods in the back and azaleas in the front... I'm unsure if I should "copy" that design. Also my house faces north.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with landscape design - bushes-housemay2009.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 01:39 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,391 times
HEATHER72,

Greetings from the west coast, nice yard by the way..

As for your front, yes, id probably use acouple azaleas, more specifically, the deciduous types (Northern lights, Exbury/knap hill, Aromi, or Mollis azalea groups) over evergreen types as they are more adaptable and less specific about soil and watering conditions..and offer seasonal intrest instead of just being green most of the year..and as far as flowers, no evergreen type can beat the spring display produced by any of these types..there are few plants which put on such a traffic stopping spring display..

Colorwise, id choose either pink or white flowered varieties just to tone down the warmth of the brick red..

A great companion shrub with azaleas are the dwarf varieties of Hinoki cypress...which are MUCH tamer..and much better looking and have softer textured foliage then junipers..

Some of these only reach about 3'x2' or so(or even smaller) and slowly reach that size..
These would look great out in front of the taller azaleas and would give you nice green color in the winter when the azaleas are dormant..

Mixed in, id use Perennials with blue, and white flowers with splashes of yellow mixed in.. this mix could include such specimens as Johnson's blue Geranium, creeping phlox (Phlox subulata), Siberian and or bearded iris..and say maybe acouple yellow "moonbeam" or "zagreb" coreopsis thrown in for accent color..The blues and whites will also cool off the warmer tones of the house and the yellows will draw attention to the area..

As for using annuals,..while they do add color, they really will cost you alot more and require more maintaince then they are worth..the only exception id make (and only because it might survive over in your area) is for Gentian sage (Salvia patens)..this one gets about 1 1/2 ft tall and is loaded with bright ultramarine blue flowers in the summer..everyone should have it somewhere in their flowerbeds..even if it doesn't make it over the winter..what a gem this one is..

As for placement, keep the azaleas toward the back as they will be the tallest specimens in the flower beds..then the hinoki cypress..or which ever dwarf evergreen shrub you decide to go with, then the perennials which you can mix (height-wise)..

Last edited by si33; 05-11-2009 at 01:51 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 05:51 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,611,121 times
Thanks for the suggestions

I just wanted to mention that the house is more orange than it is red, so not sure if you'd suggest other colors instead?

Old 05-11-2009, 08:21 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
Heather, I live near you. Another bush I'd suggest is knockout roses. They do so well in Virginia, and flower all summer long with very little maintenance. IMO The blush pink would look nice in front of an orange-red brick house. Azaleas would be great, too (although may attract deer). If you want a contrast, some marigolds in front would look nice and would also discourage deer.

Whatever you plant, ask the nursery if it can handle our very hot, humid summers.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:27 PM

110 posts, read 372,996 times
I wouldn't plant anything deciduous in this area (i.e native azaleas or roses), unless you have something evergreen behind it. Bare brick with sticks is not a good look in winter. Keep it symmerical to match the house. I prefer to very the heights of plants, as well as color and texture. The dwarf Hinoki would work well on either side of the concrete walkway, as would a couple firepower nandina's for some winter color. Little Henry's Garnet Spirea could work where the junipers(?) are. As far as where the cherry laurels are, I'd put something taller nearest the entry, perhaps a camellia or emerald green arborvitae. Encore azaleas could fill in the rest of the space and give you color 3x a year.

Also, I'd add architectural interest to your home with window boxes, shutters or both. Window boxes would allow you to change your look every year without digging up the beds.

Just my 2 cents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden