Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:41 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times

Advertisements

What about this picture, does it look more like your flowers?

http://www.wildflower.org/image_arch...98_IMG0013.JPG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 09:31 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Thank you so much for your response. I checked some other websites, and sadly I'm back to square one. My mystery flora is definitely not the American Strawberry Bush, possibly a relative though. However, from my reading, thanks to your link, it appears that whatever it is, it's not a tree and may not grow much bigger/wider. What's interesting is the separate smaller "bushes" that grew from it about 10 months after I planted it. Any other ideas? Thanks again.
Sounds like possibly stress or damage to the plant when it was moved may have caused
it to produce suckers, which may be why it's not growing as well as you'd like.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:48 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardener View Post
No, you shouldn't keep it. I've never seen a tree/shrub that was dug up in the woods do well in a suburban lawn. They don't transplant well and are much more susceptible to disease than nursery stock. Buck up the 20 to 40 bucks and buy a little tree.

BTW, although it's hard to tell from your pics, I think it's a (sad) Carolina cherry laurel. Does it get little dark fruit?

Also, it's illegal to dig up dogwoods in Virginia and North Carolina - don't know about SC, but good thing it wasn't a dogwood.
Well here's some photos of the Carolina Cheery Laurel. Let's see if these help since he actually can make the on hand comparisons. The only thing here is that the lef colour is deeper dark green and the flowers appear much different than in his picture.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What about this picture, does it look more like your flowers?

http://www.wildflower.org/image_arch...98_IMG0013.JPG
Actually that flower pattern looks closer to what was in his picture. But I was also thinking of a type of Mock/Osage Orange. The only problem there is that the fruit is a medium sized round ball almost the size of a golf ball and appearance like that of a sycamore.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,268,886 times
Good thing Dogwoods aren't illegal to dig up here.
Our neighbor transplanted over 50 dogwoods to put in his yard.

We have a huge white dogwood, but would love to have a pink dogwood, just don't have any tree room.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:37 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Actually that flower pattern looks closer to what was in his picture. But I was also thinking of a type of Mock/Osage Orange. The only problem there is that the fruit is a medium sized round ball almost the size of a golf ball and appearance like that of a sycamore.
You have two different species there with a common name.

The one on the left with flowers isa Philadelphus species, I have a few of those myself. Mock-orange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The one on the right with the fruit is Maclura pomifera, Maclura pomifera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I've seen some of those fruits the size of a grapefruit.

I don't think the OP's pic is either of those.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You have two different species there with a common name.

The one on the left with flowers isa Philadelphus species, I have a few of those myself. Mock-orange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The one on the right with the fruit is Maclura pomifera, Maclura pomifera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I've seen some of those fruits the size of a grapefruit.

I don't think the OP's pic is either of those.
Yeah I know, but those pics of his are hard for me to really get a good feel for them. I was just hoping it could be something close. Mostly I just could'nt tell the flower shape and if it had berries or not. Just a bit of a blur for my eyes.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:00 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,935 times
I think you have a shrub rather than a tree. Most shrubs have more than one stem after the first year or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Sounds like possibly stress or damage to the plant when it was moved may have caused
it to produce suckers, which may be why it's not growing as well as you'd like.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:20 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,935 times
Forgot to say....I think it's a privet shrub. Scientific name is Ligustrum. I don't have time to find you more photos, but maybe someone else can. The long shiney leaves are why I think it's a privet. With proper pruning (and more than 1 plant) they make nice hedges.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:26 PM

288 posts, read 851,504 times
Clemson University has a Cooperative Extension for the public, including a Home & Garden Information Center, at 1-888-656-9988, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m., M-F, for South Carolina residents only. Here is their website: Home & Garden Information Center : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden