Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:48 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,840,342 times

Advertisements

I'll see if my daughter will do that! I don't know anything about posting pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 09:16 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,840,342 times
I think I may have found out what it is. We were digging in an area to move an azelea. The roots were there too and as we dug out the honeysickle, we saw the roots. It has been growing across the back of our yard and started growing around the compost pile. I think that may be what it is. Getting rid of it is no fun.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:49 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,799,670 times
Yeh only a photo will help. Maybe one from far away and one from up close.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:37 PM

4 posts, read 6,002 times
I have the same problem with the tiny roots, have trees in my yard so I was thinking about digging out the flower bed and spray it good with roundup and put down a thick layer of black plastic fill it with my dirt and plant my flowers.my dirt will be about 10inches thick. do anyone think that will work? I would just like to have a pretty flower bed. for 10 years I have set flowers in that bed with no success I am ready to give up .if anyone have any ideas please help

Old 08-28-2015, 09:37 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,624,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kande06 View Post
I have the same problem with the tiny roots, have trees in my yard so I was thinking about digging out the flower bed and spray it good with roundup and put down a thick layer of black plastic fill it with my dirt and plant my flowers.my dirt will be about 10inches thick. do anyone think that will work? I would just like to have a pretty flower bed. for 10 years I have set flowers in that bed with no success I am ready to give up .if anyone have any ideas please help

Sure, roundup would work if you want to kill the trees. Of course, once they're dead they'll blow down in a good windstorm or fall over when the next rainy season saturates the ground.

Otherwise, if you either want to keep or can't remove the trees, you could look into container gardening.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:27 AM

I guess I will do that because they are very big trees guess that would be a good thing I just always wanted a big flower garden i have lived here for 25 years with no success so I guess it is time to try something else thank you because I never though about a container garden

Old 09-01-2015, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the help.so know that I am going to try the container garden what pot will with stand the winter? plastic, clay or what thanks

Old 09-01-2015, 05:04 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,624,194 times
Quote:
Thanks for the help.so know that I am going to try the container garden what pot will with stand the winter? plastic, clay or what thanks
I'd make an "outer" container of wood - like these - Large Wooden Planters - Commercial Large Wood Planter Boxes - only don't buy them, make them yourself. Seal the wood, or paint it, your preference. Then use whatever kind of pots you wish inside the planter.

You don't say how severe your winters are. If you live where it gets really cold, you'll need to keep in mind that containerized plants are more susceptible to cold than they would be in the ground.

Maybe you want something like this -
Pallet Combo: Garden Bench And Planter • 1001 Pallets

Old 09-01-2015, 05:08 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,982,218 times
Quote:
I guess I will do that because they are very big trees guess that would be a good thing I just always wanted a big flower garden i have lived here for 25 years with no success so I guess it is time to try something else thank you because I never though about a container garden
Them fine hair roots are the feeder roots to the tree, The big thick roots are support roots. Remove too many of the Hair roots and the tree starves to death.

Glad to see you decided to go for the container. A large dead tree can prove to be not only dangerous but also expensive to get rid of.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:17 AM

Default Planters

Thank u for all your help I love this site It gave answers I could not find anywhere, I live in the south and we have really cold winters, I love flowers. I have live here for 28 years every year I put flowers out there, with no luck they would die. this summer I bought 12 bag of 7.99 soil put that out to build the flower bed up I though if had lots of soil my flowers would grow that did not work the roots took over. I took up everything that did not die and put them in pots. I live on a four lane highway. and wanted my yard to be the prettiest one on the street. but nothing will grow in my yard and I really hate that. thank u again for your help. I wish I would have had this info before I spent all money in flowers and soil again thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden