Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 11:42 AM

7 posts, read 26,975 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm new to gardening, I picked up some herb and vegetable seeds today but still need a new seed starting medium. I've been reading about these coconut pellets that you just soak and then plant the seeds into...some of the herbs need to be started indoors so I'm researching the coconut pellets.

Here's a link I read through about them
Gardening 101: How to Start Seeds Indoors

but it doesn't mention if I need to remove the white lining to transplant them outdoors? It's a pretty silly question that I think is obvious (that I do need to remove it) but being new to this gardening thing, I wanted to ask the experts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 01:28 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Unless it says the white lining is plantable then I'd remove it just to be on the safe side. If you are planting an annual that doesn't get real big, such as a marigold or something, it probably wouldn't matter much since it looks like most of the roots can grow through it.

Sometimes, when you get a plant that has overgrown it's pot and the roots have started growing in a circle, if they are planted in a circle they will stay that way while growing. If the plant is a large one, like a tree, then sometimes the roots will eventually strangle it. Takes a few years to happen, though.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:58 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times
Usually on the outside of the packaging it will tell you whether or not to remove them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden