Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 01:02 PM

142 posts, read 538,208 times

Advertisements

http://public.fotki.com/sburdick/shrub/ (broken link)

Its 5 feet tall, non-blooming and evergreen. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 03:34 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
My first guess is it's boxwood. Could be japanese holly. I found some info that might help.

This is from a post on the gardenweb.
Q:"I am having a hard time telling the difference between Japanese hollies and some boxwoods. They both seem to have the same size/shape leaf and petiole, similar color, growth patterns, clippable. Is there are definable thing that gives one away???
R: ~ Boxwood has an opposite leaf pattern and all hollies have alternating leaf patterns. Also, in the heat of day you will notice a distinctive foxy or cat urine odor eminating from the boxwood. Many find this odor disagreeable. Of the two types of shrubs I prefer the Japanese holly as it does not die out in the middle and is less prone to mite damage
."

Old 06-03-2009, 03:36 PM

Thanks for your help. I've been told its not a boxwood and it doesn't produce berries so does this rule out holly? The foliage is bright green unlike the dark grren hollies I've seen. One guess was euonymous but I don't know?? If so, I don't know which type.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:40 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannobanano View Post
http://public.fotki.com/sburdick/shrub/ (broken link)

Its 5 feet tall, non-blooming and evergreen. Thanks!
I have lots of it - it's euonymous
It does bloom, but the flowers don't look like much--tiny and light green and easy to overlook; you should get red berries in late fall If you don't, maybe you have no insects pollinating it??

Easy to propagate and doesn't mind being cut back to whatever shape/size you want. Nice natural "hedge" IMHO

Old 06-03-2009, 04:02 PM

Great, thanks. Do you know which type of euonymous by chance? One guess was Japanese but its not in the shape of spires. Based on internet research, my best guess is Manhattan Euonymous. Any other dieas? Thanks so much!

Last edited by shannobanano; 06-03-2009 at 04:57 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 07:11 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannobanano View Post
Great, thanks. Do you know which type of euonymous by chance? One guess was Japanese but its not in the shape of spires. Based on internet research, my best guess is Manhattan Euonymous. Any other dieas? Thanks so much!
There are so many varieties - maybe Japonica??

BTW, the berries/fruit are similar to those of Bittersweet when mature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden