Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:43 PM

357 posts, read 1,015,650 times

Advertisements

i have to try that, did not think it would have any good smell to it, what grow in my wood are those the green and gray kind. i ll try to pick them up to see what it smell likes, i don't care for dampness smell thou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
When I'm on a deadbed, one of the things I will miss will be the smell of the forest moss. My dd, sometimes, picks a piece for me to sniff because she knows Mom loves it. Who needs perfume? This is the purest smell there is (of earth, dampness, mushrooms).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 06:59 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,986,961 times
Nothing like walking on a bed of moss. Up here in Maine there are places where generations of moss leaves a soft carpet nearly a foot thick. Strangely sensual.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:16 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,875,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I believe it was the Martha Stewart show or some ilk that showcased moss gardens and their maintenance. They had I really good tip (I tried it, and it works) of mixing a yogurt/water solution to provide just the right acidic conditions for transplanting most mosses.
I haven't tried it myself yet but, I was shopping for some cement statuary (Easter Island - Moai-type) to add to my collection and the owner told me that he spreads vanilla yogurt on his statuary to get moss to grow on it.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:11 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,686,812 times
Yep = plain yogurt and moss in a blender, apply with a clean paint brush...some swear by beer.

That column in one of my albums will eventually be treated to grow moss, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Soooooooooo much to do here.

I like adding moss to my planters as a moisture barrier, too...and it doesn't hurt as a winter blanket, either. Want to have a variety for my shade gardens and the pots, so anything of any kind that I can find would be swell. It appears I only have two varieties right here in my neck of the woods (literally). Both low-growing. Want to find the more exotic, taller species and either treat as a specimen or add to the salamander retreat I have on the lower level, next to the deck. Yup, a garden especially for slimy things.

I'm still finding it odd and interesting that so many people have trouble with chiggers and Spanish Moss...never met a chigger in FL but had lots of moss hanging from my trees, always handling after a wind storm...here, now, ditto. Unpacked a huge box (moving size) of Tillandsia that a friend sent up from Orlando a few months ago...not a single nibble.
My evil chiggers, and there are many of them...are in the tall grass. I have the lunch welts everywhere to prove it.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,223 times
Will moss grow in Arizona

Old 10-11-2009, 01:48 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,686,812 times
I don't know that you have enough humidity...Arizona is quite arid, right?

Old 10-11-2009, 05:08 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,531,615 times
Moss Acres - Gardening with moss and growing moss

"Sun and Soil Requirements for Moss Plants:

Most mosses require shady spots, making them ideal constituents of shade gardens. They also like moisture. Many moss species not only tolerate, but require compaction in the soil beneath them -- just the opposite of most specimens sold at nurseries." ----> Moss Plants | Shade Gardens | Mosses for Shady Spots

www.rollinghillfarm.com - Nursery & Mosses

Tripple Brook Farm Mail order Nursery exotic Plants Mosses

Best wishes in your mossy adventure!

Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 10-11-2009 at 05:31 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 06:20 PM
E-8

2 posts, read 4,702 times
Growing moss. On about 3/4 of an acre we do not have any use for, we planted 40 or so different types of trees. We are trying to create a canopy and in the process hoping to get moss growing on certain trees that we have seen moss grow on in other areas. Hope we are doing the right thing. If nothing else, we should have plenty shade and a cool place to relax in.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:21 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,914,692 times
When I was a kid we always were told to not play with the moss because of the red bugs.
We didn't listen.
We ended up with lots of itches in private place.

Oddly enough, I really don't see as much moss in Orlando as I did while growing up a little more north in the Gainesville, FL area.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:49 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,032,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
I love moss. Always have. Moss (and ferns).
And there are all kinds of moss, and some that aren't really even moss...

But where would I acquire varieties other than that which grows in my back yard?
As in online?

I'd found one nursery many years ago that had an assortment of woodland mosses that they grew themselves...some where up North.

It's been so long - and I'm not finding them now as I Google.

Any suggestions? Bonsai?
Here is a site that teaches you how to grow moss.

busta

Growing Moss on Rocks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden