Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times

Advertisements

Getting rid of the plant - AND THE RASH

I was working on clearing out my mess of Bamboo - guess What? I've got Poisen Oak too. I'm using Ivy Dry and washing with Neutragena. Any other suggestions?

Also, what is best way to get rid of the poisen Oak? I know it can't be burned. Geesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 09:20 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Based on my past experiences? Amputation.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:19 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Based on my past experiences? Amputation.
That will work...but on a less drastic level, I can be induced to approach poison oak if ABSOLUTELY neccessary. I've encountered it at home AND out 'in the field' (Water District work) and I have HUGE respect for it.

I wear long sleeves and long pants, AND latex gloves. (Lay out a complete set of NEW clothes near the shower (if available) before you start the job.).

I use a home-made device consisting of a 8' pole with a barb at the end. Cut the vine off at its base with a hooked machete. Use your barbed pole to begin rolling the entire vine...20 or 30 feet if necessary..into a large ball. Stretch a trash bag OVER this ball and carefully pull out the pole by working it loose. Tie up the trash bag and dispose of it in the garbage...do NOT burn it. Head immediately to the shower, and treat your 'old' clothes as if contaminated...(place in a trash bag, and wash separately). Wash all tools and rinse well with WD-40.

Sounds like 'overkill' perhaps, but Poison Oak is no fun. I'm about 'medium' allergic. My father, strangely, who was a surveyor, was totally immune to poison oak..yet he finally had to wash his OWN work clothes (decades before 'women's lib') because my Mother was unable to launder the contaminated clothing without getting HERSELF contaminated.

Nasty stuff.....and the extra precautions are well worth the hassle.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:19 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Also, what is best way to get rid of the poisen Oak?

Sheep. No joke.

Sheep love poison oak, they will eat every delicious leaf and stem right down to the ground.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:32 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Stay out of it.

I used to work with a guy who made big money as a kid via his utter immunity to poison ivy and poison oak.
He'd take bets from skeptics that he wouldn't roll in the stuff, take their money--like candy from babies--roll around in it, then head to the candy store.

Sweet!

Old 06-05-2009, 04:51 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
do you have a cvs pharmacy where you live? they have a cvs brand poison ivy soap. it comes with three small bars & is made to remove the oils from your skin. Wash all your clothes you wore that day in Technu. If the rash gets so bad that it becomes painful...or causes further allergic reaction...like my son whose eyes swell shut and lips get enormous... you can go to the doctor for stronger meds. My son usually has to go on prednisone. He can get it just by walking past a patch as the wind blows, i swear...

Old 06-05-2009, 06:55 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Thanks, we have a CVS up the road - I'll try the soap. Although, the combination of liquid Neutragena and Ivy Dry seem to be keeping it from spreading on my arm, at least.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:14 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Ivarest works fairly well for me. I've heard of people dabbing on a very diluted bleach solution to their skin, but I've never had the guts to try it. I'd rather itch and seep than use bleach on my skin, no matter how diluted!

Roundup will kill the stuff, but if there are any plants you want to keep in the area, it will kill them, too. If you have to be selective, bundling up in long sleeves and pants, gloves etc. and pulling the plants by hand is the only way. When you're done, remove all your clothing immediately and wash it in hot water right away. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:43 PM

282 posts, read 820,050 times
Poison Ivy/Oak should not spread if it has been cleaned off properly. People often think it spreads as it comes out in stages and many don't wash properly and the urushiol continues to cause more rashes. Make sure you wash everything, clothes, tools, sneakers, etc. or it will come back.

I would recommend going to the doctor, they can prescribe steroids which definitely help with both the irritation and the length of time before it goes away. Personally I always ask for the steroid cream.

There are herbicides that will kill poison oak, they often harm surrounding plants. Since yours is in bamboo I doubt you have anything to get upset about. I would try to find someone who is immune to take care of it for you, about 10% of the population is completely immune. Be sure they truly are immune, many people believe they are as it's typical to not get a rash the first time, but they may the second. The best way would be to pull it out roots and all and then coat the ground with the herbicide to make sure it doesn't come back. Where we had it I spray twice a year. Honestly I would pay to have someone remove it this year and then just keep spraying so it never comes back.

Be careful, poison ivy/oak is an auto-immune reaction so each time you are exposed your rash will be worse.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:49 PM

282 posts, read 820,050 times
Forum is having trouble with posts, it just keeps loading and loading and loading?

Last edited by Fyzbo; 06-05-2009 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: it never stopped loading?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden