Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 10:49 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times

Advertisements

While pulling the zillion crabgrass sprouts in my yard, in between posting from my wonderful screen porch, I noticed these running shoots of grass with shortish blades coming out sideways. I looked it up and it looks like Centipede grass shoots or possibly St. Augustine grass shoots. Is anyone aware of this growing on its own without planting it? I am thinking it may be a good thing, as it will provide ground cover for my dirtish back yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 01:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
centipede is a running grass as compared to clumping fescue. also planted by seed as most hybrid fescue is sod only since seed doesn't breed true. I have successfully mixed both with medium success. Centipede likes sun and goes dormant in winter.
But it creeps into flower beds and everywhere else so I prefer fescue sod for better look. just yank it up before it comes too invasive. Are you sure it is centipede? not every running "weed" is centipede grass. there are lots of running grass like weeds and I have some now to deal with. I don't care what it is I just don't want it in my beds. After all the definition of a weed is anything growing where you don't want it.
good luck-try the gardening forum as you sometimes do and post a picture.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:04 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
It's highly unlikely that you have centipede wildly growing in your yard. Most likely it's common bermuda or "wire grass". It, like Centipede, spreads by stolons and rhizomes. It is very common in this area. Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of it is by spraying it with glyphosate (the active ingredient in Round-up). Round-up is expensive but you can go to an agriculture store (Tractor Supply, Agri-Supply, etc.) and buy a generic brand for less than half of what you'd pay for Round-up and has a higher concentration of glyphosate. A yard can look very nice with common bermuda. I wouldn't fight it and just let it take over since it will take years to fully spread and it will just come back eventually anyway.

Common Grassey Weeds

Old 06-13-2009, 04:05 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I have St Augustine and I have found it growing in some of the darndest places. It'll spread quickly, but I'm not sure how far north it occurs.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:38 PM

451 posts, read 1,654,056 times
Hard to tell what it is without pics, but if you want to fill in your dirt back yard, plant centipede. It really will fill in within a season or two (most likely two). It's very common among new builders in SC. If you don't have a lot of beds and places to edge it's not bad, but if you do, prepare to edge every 2 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden