Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:17 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I LOVE mimosa trees.

I have such fond memories as a kid playing in the neighbor's mimosa tree for hours every day.

When we start building our home, I will be planting at least 1, along with other trees I hold dear from my childhood, so the kiddo can enjoy them as much as I did.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't believe so many people have such hatred for a tree.
I too grew up climbing them as a young child. As we kids got older (too old to climb a tree), we would sit in our tree on the lower limbs and just talk. WONDERFUL MEMORIES !!!

Our mimosa is in our yard, growing happily. It is a huge tree. Bigger than the ones we climbed as kids.
It may drop it's flowers... but living in the country ...Who the heck cares.
One just doesn't have one growing near their driveway, If their smart.

It's not as bad as a tulip tree...or a cottonwood tree, or even a walnut tree. I wouldn't have any of these living in a neighborhood. We have 2 huge tulip trees in our yards, they don't bother us...but if they were near a sidewalk or driveway...I would have them cut down.
Our pecan trees aren't too bad to deal with, until the squirrels don't do their job & the dogs decide to bite the pecans to get to the nut inside.
I have WONDERFUL memories of the Mimosa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 01:53 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,091 times
your memories aside, the mimosa is ruining forrest and field borders south of zone five

this is why invasives will continue to get worse, people play favorites

Old 06-24-2009, 02:51 PM

593 posts, read 2,894,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't believe so many people have such hatred for a tree.
I too grew up climbing them as a young child. As we kids got older (too old to climb a tree), we would sit in our tree on the lower limbs and just talk. WONDERFUL MEMORIES !!!
You got that wrong. I don't hate the tree. I hate the people that keep selling them and I hate what they are doing to our environment. All just so people can have nice happy memories and pretty flowers.

I grew up in miami and have fond memories of climbing on large ficus trees that we had in our yard. They are a lot of fun for kids and treehouses but they are really not good trees to have. Very pest and disease prone and very aggressive roots and weak wooded to boot. I wouldn't plant one for those reasons. There are better trees that will live longer so it's not a difficult decision.

It's just being considerate.

The same reason I take my used motor oil in to a disposal center rather than dump it down the drain.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:09 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Why don't you plant a thornless honeylocust instead? They are very similar. Black locust is another tree that looks very much like mimosa but unlike honeylocust, these have showy flowers. They are not very good trees to have in your yard as they are prone to a host of pests and diseases but your children will never know the difference.
I don't know what a "thornless honeylocust", and I don't like black locust trees, and they don't look ANYTHING like a mimosa.

I will have over 20 acres in the middle of nowhere, so I don't think my gardening choice is anyone else's business honestly.

I grew up with them in the neighborhood, I love their look, I like the way they shade the area right around them all day like a little cave (I know not all do that, it takes trimming and maintenance) just like a willow tree, and they are good to play and jump and climb in.

No offense, to you or anyone else, but I was raised that if it is my land, I will be the judge what will and will not be growing there. (as long as it isn't illegal of course!)

Old 06-24-2009, 04:26 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
IMO Mimosa are the equivalent of kudzu. They have a few good points, but so not worth planting since they seem to be taking over the southeastern landscape just fine all on their own.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I will have over 20 acres in the middle of nowhere, so I don't think my gardening choice is anyone else's business honestly.
Good. Don't make it my business by having your plants invade public lands.
You are not the center of the universe. Your actions have consequences that impact others.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:43 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
shagbark hickory- you sound so passionate about how you care for this earth. I wish others would be as considerate . Yes it is her/his land but what is planted will definitely determine the quality of life of countless others. It is difficult to imagine someone so utterly mindless about how her actions affect others. The kind of person we all want to shake some sense into. But at least you tried. Thank you for your concern.
Mimosas are indeed trash-memories or no menories. This is not an opinion. A scientific fact.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
shagbark hickory- you sound so passionate about how you care for this earth. I wish others would be as considerate . Yes it is her/his land but what is planted will definitely determine the quality of life of countless others. It is difficult to imagine someone so utterly mindless about how her actions affect others. The kind of person we all want to shake some sense into. But at least you tried. Thank you for your concern.
Mimosas are indeed trash-memories or no menories. This is not an opinion. A scientific fact.
Thanks if I sound passionate it's because I have spent a lot of time volunteering and removing pest plants from natural areas. Mimosas, kudzu, privet, chinese wisteria, empress trees and seeing more callery pears than ever showing up. I try not to blame the people that plant them but rather the growers and retailers.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:46 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
Quote:

No offense, to you or anyone else, but I was raised that if it is my land, I will be the judge what will and will not be growing there. (as long as it isn't illegal of course!)
No offense, but you were raised to be selfish, then. Granted, people were not too concerned about invasive plants in the past.

Also, I have a pet peeve about people equating illegal/legal with right/wrong. Do we really have to pass a law against every selfish action or can we depend on the thoughtfulness an consideration of others? Guess we can't.

So often the people that are against "Government involvement" in our lives also espouse their right to do whatever they want, no matter how it effects others. If people weren't being so selfish, the government would not have to get so involved!

Planting a mimosa here in the South is equivalent to spreading weeds onto all you neighbors properties (weeds that are not effected by RoundUp, BTW), because that is what will happen. Is it really "right" for you to do that? Nature does not know where your property line is.

Having said all that, if mimosa's are not invasive where you are, plant away. But your blanket statements about property rights, legal/illegal are selfish. Invasives are a serious problem here in the South.

Last edited by Art123; 06-26-2009 at 05:54 AM..

Old 06-26-2009, 01:02 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
We have to cut yet another one out of our arborvitae, along with some norway maples that keep popping up. The neighbors Mimosa was cut down 20 years ago but still has offspring in hedges in the neighborhood. In a way I admire their tenacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden