Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:01 PM

593 posts, read 2,894,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Having said all that, if mimosa's are not invasive where you are, plant away.
Better yet, don't.
Cuz if people buy these mimosas in say Wisconsin for example.... Then they become popular and the growers want to grow more and before you know it, they are being shipped to areas where they are invasive. Furthermore they have the potential to become pests in other places but haven't yet made catagory I status. Sort of like with the bradford pears that are really becoming a problem here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 07:10 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Better yet, don't.
Cuz if people buy these mimosas in say Wisconsin for example.... Then they become popular and the growers want to grow more and before you know it, they are being shipped to areas where they are invasive. Furthermore they have the potential to become pests in other places but haven't yet made catagory I status. Sort of like with the bradford pears that are really becoming a problem here.
Maybe some of us in the south should start breeding Mimosa webworms?

Old 06-27-2009, 06:49 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
No offense, but you were raised to be selfish, then. Granted, people were not too concerned about invasive plants in the past.

Also, I have a pet peeve about people equating illegal/legal with right/wrong. Do we really have to pass a law against every selfish action or can we depend on the thoughtfulness an consideration of others? Guess we can't.

So often the people that are against "Government involvement" in our lives also espouse their right to do whatever they want, no matter how it effects others. If people weren't being so selfish, the government would not have to get so involved!

Planting a mimosa here in the South is equivalent to spreading weeds onto all you neighbors properties (weeds that are not effected by RoundUp, BTW), because that is what will happen. Is it really "right" for you to do that? Nature does not know where your property line is.

Having said all that, if mimosa's are not invasive where you are, plant away. But your blanket statements about property rights, legal/illegal are selfish. Invasives are a serious problem here in the South.
And that is YOUR opinion, and we all know how opinions are.

I was not raised to be selfish thanks. Do not project your issues on me.

I hardly think me planting one tree of MY choice on 20+ acres is going to hurt anyone. Your pet peeve is not my concern. Call me selfish if you will, I care not. I will do with my property what I deem fit, that is NOT your concern; especially since you will not be privy to the issue.

Bottom line, if it is MY property, it is MY decision what to plant or not plant there. You can complain all day long till you are blue in the face, but it will do you NO good. My property, my decision. Do not forget, this ONE tree will be on 20+ acres, and the closest neighbor is over a mile away, hardly a concern, IMO.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Do not forget, this ONE tree will be on 20+ acres, and the closest neighbor is over a mile away, hardly a concern, IMO.
You lack a fundemental understanding of how pest plants spread so I will tell you.
Wind... The wind can carry seeds many MILES away
Wildlife... Birds, squirels and other wildlife eat the seeds then poop them out miles away where they germinate (ever wonder why fencerows have so many trees?)
Water... Seeds are often carried by water. In streams and creeks where it eventually washes ashore and germinates.

It's sort of like being on a well for drinking water and having a neighbor that piles up cow manure and junk cars leaking oil around your property line to contaminate your ground water.

The consequences of having an invasive tree on your property will be felt and seen outside the confines of your property. To play ignorant to this fact is not being a good environmental steward of the land.

Last edited by Shagbark Hickory; 06-27-2009 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-27-2009, 04:05 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,932 times
Quote:

I hardly think me planting one tree of MY choice on 20+ acres is going to hurt anyone. Your pet peeve is not my concern. Call me selfish if you will, I care not. I will do with my property what I deem fit, that is NOT your concern; especially since you will not be privy to the issue.

Bottom line, if it is MY property, it is MY decision what to plant or not plant there. You can complain all day long till you are blue in the face, but it will do you NO good. My property, my decision. Do not forget, this ONE tree will be on 20+ acres, and the closest neighbor is over a mile away, hardly a concern, IMO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cavescoutwife...

I hear ya...agree with you all the way. To each there own.
Maple trees & Redbuds produce more seedlings than our Mimosa.
Plant your Mimosa & enjoy. Ours is bloooming & smells great...

Old 06-27-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cavescoutwife...

I hear ya...agree with you all the way. To each there own.
Maple trees & Redbuds produce more seedlings than our Mimosa.
Plant your Mimosa & enjoy. Ours is bloooming & smells great...
But redbuds and maples are native and their populations are kept in check by pests and diseases and other biotic factors. There isn't much to keep mimosa under control.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:20 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,792,481 times
Quote:

Your one tree becomes many, many trees on others' property. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Not complaining. Not looking to do good for myself, but for all of us that live with the consequences others' ignorance. That's a big difference between people like you and people like me.

selfish - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Old 06-29-2009, 11:17 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,932 times
oh brother..................... Time to move on.....................

Old 05-13-2010, 11:46 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
shagbark hickory- you sound so passionate about how you care for this earth. I wish others would be as considerate . Yes it is her/his land but what is planted will definitely determine the quality of life of countless others. It is difficult to imagine someone so utterly mindless about how her actions affect others. The kind of person we all want to shake some sense into. But at least you tried. Thank you for your concern.
Mimosas are indeed trash-memories or no menories. This is not an opinion. A scientific fact.
I agree with this post. What we do is like the pebble dropping into the water and the ripples spreading out.....no one is an island. Mimosa trees are invasive, they are seriously damaging the natural environment and should not be planted.

Kudzu is beautiful but look what it does.

We have a vine down here in Florida that has a yellow bloom and then makes long seed pods. This vine has covered whole oak trees with a solid line of tendrils going up the tree. Birds drop the seeds and the roots spread underground. Roundup doesnt work. You have to dig them out like a potatoe. It will spread, cover and smother, just like kudzu.

The same principle here as with the invasive Burmese pythons. People selfishly kept them and turned them loose. Look what we have now in the Everglades and they are spreading northward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden