U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 04:24 AM

17,833 posts, read 31,937,389 times

Advertisements

Good morning
I was at the nursery yesterday getting mulch for a friend and saw 2 of the blue passion flowers. Nice size for $4 how could I resist
Here is a picture of the flowers it will be getting can you see why I had to buy them.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/myfask/passionflower.jpg (broken link)
Problem is I know nothing about these. Except they are a vine that can grow 10'
Any experts out there that can fill me in

Thanks so much

Karla
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 06:02 AM

11,000 posts, read 22,941,159 times
Put them next to your fence in the sun. If I remember correctly, they send out little tendrils that grasp onto things. So if your fence is smooth or they seem to be having a time grabbing hold, poke in a couple of stakes behind them. I don't think you need to tie them.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:20 AM

8,189 posts, read 30,219,953 times
They grew wild where I just moved from in SC. The blooms are awesome, but they don't last very long (if I remember correctly).

Old 04-14-2007, 06:50 PM

thanks ladies
my hubby cut some copper pipe into 5' sections and I put them in a 20" pot teepee fashion and ran the runners up the pipe. it looks pretty good I can;t wait till it fills in.
I was in a generous mood so offered the 2nd one to my sister
the rain has started everyting is so dry here we are 6" below in rainfall.
have a great night everyone
karla

Old 04-20-2007, 11:49 AM

83 posts, read 345,300 times
Oh my god, after seeing them take over a whole yard so bad the last people that lived there actually had to try to burn them out I see nothing good about a passion fruit plant unless you keep it in a small confined area. They climed our trees and the neighbor's trees, the garage, fences, everywhere.

Be careful so they don't get out of hand like they do here in California

Old 04-22-2007, 03:44 AM

Thanks for the heads up

karla

Old 11-03-2007, 05:13 PM

169 posts, read 381,226 times
I had the common 'lilikoi' here in Hawaii. Planted from a small cutting, it grew over a 16' x 8' high trellis of 4x4's. Then, it headed for the papaya trees and the clothes line. Then, I cut it down.

It was scary, even for here where things really go.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:27 PM

473 posts, read 683,920 times
Default purple passion vine

Hi, Karla,

If you keep your vines, plant them where they can't reach out their tendrils to another plant, because they can really overrun anything vertical. They're hard to get rid of. The upside is: the flowers are the favorite of monarch butterflies!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:58 AM

174 posts, read 551,855 times
You can get more information than you ever wanted here
Passiflora (Passion Flower) Forum - GardenWeb

It looks like you can grow it from seeds of the fruit that you buy in the grocery store, and some varieties do grow wild here. I had some along my driveway, although it didn't get very big and I never saw any fruit. I'm guessing that the deer got it.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:15 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,479,379 times
Passiflora can go crazy and become invasive...I had some do VERY well in SoFl and was grooming them every week and pulling runners to pot and give away.

Now, here we have seasons so it isn't as urgent, but I still made sure I planted mine where I can keep it under check - an isolated (ugly) tree lacking lower branches - perfect - and a trellis at the back of one area near the retaining wall. I have ample room to walk around and check for new growth and get between the bushes to keep them from becoming...overcome.

The hummingbirds LOVED the flowers last year - was fun to watch then drink...am thinking part of why I have not seen very many so far 2009 is that I don't have the flowers to attract them yet. (Weird, late in arriving, had a few visits and lacking since then...my neighbor has his feeder out too, but nothin' doin'...)

I should see blooms soon, vine was also late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden