Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 07:17 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

A friends told me cat hair works- you can tell I'm desperate. I have two large Ragdolls and every day I get a grocery sack full of hair when I use my new Zoom Groom on them. I tucked some fur into the day lillies in hope deer won't eat the blooms and buds. Will it work? I tried human hair from a barber shop without success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 05:49 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,053 times
None of those things truly work. I even bought coyote urine. Works until it rains or wears off. I tried all of those things: soap, tin pans, urine, hair, deer repellent in a bottle, planting mums and herbs around my plants I don't want them to eat, etc. I now buy poisonous plants or deer resistant plants (which help), i.e., Daphne, anise, hollies, peonies, wax myrtle, etc. The scarecrow device works also.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:28 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
Although I didn't try it, someone told me that hanging CDs with string so that they can freely twist in the breeze is a repellent.

The hardest part about repelling deer is breaking their habitual route. They find and create a specific "path", and if your house is on their path, they'll keep coming back. Our yard was part of the habitual path the herd took every night from the woods to a farmer's field about a 1/2 mile away. In our case we didn't care if they came through because we really had nothing they could destroy. But if we wanted them to go elsewhere, we would have started the "deterring" up in the back corner of our property to force them to create a different habitual path.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:01 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Cat hair might scare mice away. I don't think cat hair would scare off deer, they're big animals and have no reason to be afraid of a little cat.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:04 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
okay my grandmother used to hang deodorant soap from a string on a plant branch . she swore by this method and all I can tell you is that she had a ton of deer on her property and always had beautifull plants so take that for what it is . good luck I know they can be a problelm .

Old 06-19-2009, 08:06 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay my grandmother used to hang deodorant soap from a string on a plant branch . she swore by this method and all I can tell you is that she had a ton of deer on her property and always had beautifull plants so take that for what it is . good luck I know they can be a problelm .
LOL, well this could make interesting garden art if you stick sequins in it. And after it rains your garden will smell as fresh as an Irish Spring! (Hey if it works they should try to market this use. I can see the commercials: Manly, yes--but deer like it too!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden