Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 12:00 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,449,610 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone here at CD grows this plant. I've been an avid gardener for 35 years and somehow, I have never seen this plant until a few weeks ago in my friends new yard/garden.

Polygonatum odoratum 'Variegatum' - VARIEGATED SOLOMON'S SEAL - Rainyside.com (http://www.rainyside.com/features/plant_gallery/perennials/Polygonatum_odoratumVariegatum.html - broken link)

It's really striking in the variegated style and I'm looking forward to planting clumps this fall when she breaks the plants up. I'd like to have them spread in a fairly shaded area of my front yard.

What type of setting are yours in?

How fast do they spread?

Any other thoughts or tidbits on the plant you could share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 02:58 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,388 times
I have a small clump of it in a small bed in front of my home. It was given to me by my neighbor as she divided it from her plant. Mine has not spread and really has not performed well--I have only a couple stems now. My home faces north and it gets no sun where it is planted. The soil is great and I cant figure out why they are not doing as well as my neighbors does...it came from her plant! They are supposed to like shade, which is where I planted it. My neighbor has hers in the sun and it is full, tall and stunning...confused plant lol. It is a beautiful though! I will just keep hoping mine will take off and start growing like crazy!

Old 06-27-2009, 06:58 AM

99 posts, read 322,930 times
Default solomon

i grew this in a rock garden in nova scotia, canada, it did very well overwinter, i used mulch for winter protection, it was in a rock garden, but i always plant in good garden soil. it was on the south side of the hose so it got regular sun, it was very beautiful and quite striking, it was a perennial in my garden, good luck.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:53 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I grew it in dabbled shade in my atlanta garden. I love it and hope my husband can dig up some to bring back for my new NC garden. house is for sale so I keep having folks dig and bring to me. It's all mine until it sells... you will enjoy it I'm sure. just give it some time. since neighbors is in more sun than you planted it maybe you can move it to sunnier location come fall. they say azaleas and hydrangeas and ferns and such a full shade plants but even in the south I have success in more sun. I just have to water the heck out of them.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
should that be dappled????

Old 06-27-2009, 02:52 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
Where I work we have a Soloman's Seal in a shaded courtyard under a dogwood tree. It is thriving there.

About 2 1/2 feet tall, a beautiful glossy green with a graceful branches, it's one of my favorite plants on the property. Gorgeous thing. Although I'm not too familiar with these, I think they're slow growing. Well worth the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Solomon's Seal-solomans-seal.jpg  

Old 06-27-2009, 06:28 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
I have solomon's seal growing in a very shady spot and it's thriving; so much so, that I've started to share it with friends and neighbors.
Someone gave me a variegated plant and interestingly enough, it's thriving in partial sun!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:57 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,573 times
I love Solomon's seal! I have some in a shady spot in my Brooklyn backyard, and some in the front yard as well. I think I first heard about it through Ken Druse's book, The Natural Shade Garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden