U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2009, 04:30 PM
 
593 posts, read 2,772,509 times
Reputation: 282

Advertisements

And rocks make very bad mulch.
You might as well put your plants on top of a BBQ grill.

As for the pinestraw, I think it's just regionally popular. I've seen it here in the atlanta area, and in Columbia, SC. I've also seen it sold a little bit in Knoxville, TN but not that common.

Oddly enough, pinestraw is harvested in Florida from longleaf and slash pines yet in florida they don't sell it. Wierd!

Luckily you can go rake it up for free, especially there in NC. You should have loads of pines, even Longleafs, right? Down here it's going for about $3.25-$3.50 a bale but I have a sneaking suspicion the bales keep getting smaller and smaller.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2009, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Fly-over country.
1,765 posts, read 6,977,856 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It has been my experience as a seasoned landscape designer that beginners and new home buyers are the ones who insist on lots of grass. Kinda like a status symbol or else a mind set that good green grass equals "ARRIVAL". I always used to lean my clients towards putting their money in good specimen trees and large "beds" which they could either plant perennials or shrubs or just put down mulch.....

Amen. I have no clue why the new subdivisions are mostly large resource-intense lawns. Only a few higher end ones get the "street tree" treatment, and sadly, the developer often picks the wrong trees.

My neighbor asked me why I planted so many trees in the front lawn. I told him it was the only way I knew to kill bermuda grass
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 09:18 AM
 
593 posts, read 2,772,509 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post

My neighbor asked me why I planted so many trees in the front lawn. I told him it was the only way I knew to kill bermuda grass
And that may thin it but probably not kill it.

Bermudagrass is like a tatoo on the earth. Once it's there you can never fully get rid of it. Merely manage it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2009, 12:04 PM
 
80 posts, read 661,804 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
That may seem unusual in Florida but in places in the southwest like Tucson, AZ, grass is the exception rather than the rule. Very few homes have turf.

And many homes in Europe and the UK don't have lawns either. People basically have a driveway for a front yard.

And even here in Georgia, where some people have wooded lots and their yards are too shady for turf they will often just have pinestraw, mulch or tree litter as a ground cover.

It is possible to live without a lawn people.
I couldn't agree more. But previous owner spent a fortune to put down st. Augustin on 1/3 acre land thinking that would sell the house and I am struggling to keep the grass alive in 100 something degree heat with no rain in sight. I plan on planting alternatives to replace grass. Any suggestins? On another thread, you named the grass I am thinking of planting instead of grass. As long as the ground is covered, I couldn't care less what that is. Love to plant running bamboo to fill the land but that won't malt my neighbors happy, alas
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2009, 04:01 PM
 
593 posts, read 2,772,509 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by maincoon View Post
I couldn't agree more. But previous owner spent a fortune to put down st. Augustin on 1/3 acre land thinking that would sell the house and I am struggling to keep the grass alive in 100 something degree heat with no rain in sight. I plan on planting alternatives to replace grass. Any suggestins? On another thread, you named the grass I am thinking of planting instead of grass. As long as the ground is covered, I couldn't care less what that is. Love to plant running bamboo to fill the land but that won't malt my neighbors happy, alas
Those ornamental grasses are more like shrubs than a groundcover. I don't think you want to replace your turf with that. They often get a little out of control too. You'll open your front door one day and find you've been grassed in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2009, 02:41 PM
 
80 posts, read 661,804 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Those ornamental grasses are more like shrubs than a groundcover. I don't think you want to replace your turf with that. They often get a little out of control too. You'll open your front door one day and find you've been grassed in.
Ha! That would be fun!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top