Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 02:04 PM

363 posts, read 1,212,069 times

Advertisements

So I have some very nice Spartan Junipers installed this year, big 8 footers. They've settled in nicely. Then over the past couple of weeks I noticed one had what I thought could only be described as "clumps" forming. I thought it was diseased and just pulled these clumps off. They seemed a little gooey/soggy but just thought some weird disease (not a botanical person). In the past couple of weeks must have now taken off maybe 100+ of these. Then today I'm walking past and see the ones on the floor are MOVING!!! ARGH! Horrible things are basically cocoons for some kind of hideous worm/caterpillar. Any ideas what they are??? I immediately dug out the Sevin and absolutely plastered the tree after having taken every single one I could find off, sticking them in a black bag, and filling that with Sevin too. I have no idea what these are and would welcome any advice and what I can do to treat and make sure they never come back

Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 02:33 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
It would help tremendously if you could post a picture of it.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:35 PM

115 posts, read 381,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
So I have some very nice Spartan Junipers installed this year, big 8 footers. They've settled in nicely. Then over the past couple of weeks I noticed one had what I thought could only be described as "clumps" forming. I thought it was diseased and just pulled these clumps off. They seemed a little gooey/soggy but just thought some weird disease (not a botanical person). In the past couple of weeks must have now taken off maybe 100+ of these. Then today I'm walking past and see the ones on the floor are MOVING!!! ARGH! Horrible things are basically cocoons for some kind of hideous worm/caterpillar. Any ideas what they are??? I immediately dug out the Sevin and absolutely plastered the tree after having taken every single one I could find off, sticking them in a black bag, and filling that with Sevin too. I have no idea what these are and would welcome any advice and what I can do to treat and make sure they never come back

Thank you!!!!
Can you post a picture?

Old 07-19-2009, 02:52 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Sounds like bagworms. They are a common pest of certain conifers. Is this what they look like?

If so, just look up bagworms on google to find out what to do about them. They do need to be gotten rid of, if that's what it is.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:02 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
I think we used Spectracide to kill them. You still have to pick them off so the trees won't look so bad.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:02 PM

YES! Thank you Luvvarkansas that is exactly what they are

Just posted some pictures on the tree and stripped bare here:

MobileMe Gallery

Googling right now......

Old 07-19-2009, 03:21 PM

593 posts, read 2,893,334 times
You'll need a systemic insecticide to deal with the bagworms.
Little green bottle of ortho sold at some of the bigger home depots.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:31 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
Here is the NCSU page on bagworms and their control. I would recommend using the Bacillus thuringiensis (trade names Dipel and Thuricide), since they are organic, and don't harm humans or beneficial insects.

We prefer not to use chemicals if at all possible, because they kill all insects indiscriminately (not to mention harming other wildlife). The widespread use of chemical insecticides are thought to be one reason why there is such a decline in the honeybee population.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:06 PM

Thanks Claire that is very helpful. Will get some of that, though sounds like I am too late for effective control and I will just have to pull the critters off. That said once pulled off no sympathy - after what these guys have done to my Junpiers they are going on the fire tonight!!!!

Funny I just didn't think they were creatures just something with the tree... I thought with the darn japanese beetles we were done but seems like year round there is something to test the yard here in NC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden