Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
I've had them crawl right up out of the shower drain!!!!!! If you don't use all your baths, they crawl right out of the sewer!!! YUK!!!! Since I'm not a year round resident of Florida and only go down in the winter, the shower/tubs don't get regular use.

I was sitting on the hopper and this stupid thing was about 3" long and came up out of the shower drain and beaned me right on the head as it took flight!!!!!!! DISGUSTING!!!! lol

Make sure you run your showers/tubs etc., to keep that from happening.
We have to on rare occassions. We do get the house treated every 3 months.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 11:26 PM

170 posts, read 450,375 times
Use combat trays for LARGE roaches. Works like a charm.
Amazon.com: Dial Corp. 51913 Combat Quick Kill Roach Traps: Kitchen & Dining

Old 09-13-2010, 05:02 AM

70 posts, read 183,499 times
You can use some kind of chemicals or sprays to throw them out...

Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It did seem to work for us when we lived in Texas, we kept a couple of lids in the kitchen cupboards and one each bathroom, but it didn't do the job in NM or here.
If you're just going to use plain boric acid, then it needs to be sprinkled lightly around at the edges of the floor so the roaches will walk through it, then they clean it off their legs and it kills them.

If you're going to put it in containers, it needs to be mixed with something to attract them to eat it....like powdered sugar.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:29 AM

134 posts, read 384,797 times
__removed post___

Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,030 times
We have them in Arizona as well. Apprently they are common here as well as scorpions with tails that lay flat and can come under doors. Oh and are the same color as the rugs in most rental places.

My complex treats but I still get the occasional dead one here and there, but during the summer months forget it. I see live and dead. I always keep raid and and roach handy (out of way of my 4 year old) I'm disgusted because of the millions of diseases they carry. I just saw one last night scurry accross my wall at 1am. I am not usually awake at that time and it freaked me out they are crawling around while me and my little one are sleeping. YUCK!!!!!! I did a home treatment that is suppose to last for 12 months and not dangerous to be sprayed around children or pets, but it's the summer so I think I have to have a professional come in and do in the apartment.

I also have to get more bleach, I have been told to pour it down the drains of sinks and tubs. I was also advised to close the drains when not in use. Which I haven't been doing but going to make it a routine and hope it helps. Good luck to you!!

Old 09-01-2013, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,209 times
Yeah we have those god awful suckers here in NC. If you live anywhere east of Raleigh then most likely you will be doing battle with them. I sprinkle boric acid around the outside and use home defense on the inside. I also screened in my patio. All of these things ha e helped a lot. Sometimes they still find a way into the patio but not anything like before it was screened in. They love water and they love trees so get rid of standing water and if you are not attached to the trees that are right up under your house then getting rid of them will help (I love my trees so that was not an option for me). Also I have TONS of toads in my backyard and they help keep the palmetto bug population down a lot, so get some toads and release them in your backyard (that is if you are not bothered by toads).

Old 09-08-2013, 10:57 AM

27,208 posts, read 43,910,956 times
One of the leading culprits of attracting roaches into your home is landscape mulch. They love the stuff because it's warm and wet, perfect for living and reproducing. I did away with mulch and replaced it with river rock which also is beneficial because you don't have to replace it regularly like mulch. I haven't seen a roach (or spider) since which I'll attribute to that and quarterly exterminator spraying of the exterior walls, windows and eaves.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:58 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Just try to acclimate yourself. That is what I have tried to do. When we first moved to GA from OH, I knew there would be different bugs,and I am no shrinking violet, but I freaked out a few times, because every time I saw one of these roaches, I thought of being infested.
Now, after 3+ years, we have learned that they come in to get away from water, so if there is a lot of rain some might come in. Also, sometimes we find them dead in the house.
These large and small roaches can come in through the tiniest openings, and being on a slab there is not much separating the inside from the outside of a house. Just try to seal up openings around doorways and baseboards, etc.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,075 times
Can't deal! If the bug that just crawled up my wall is part of living in Florida, I might have to go back up north, and snag a mouse or two, instead. I am so sick, I probably won't sleep tonight, until I get help tomorrow to find this thing I sprayed and hope is dead. While the weather here is nice, and the storms up in Mass, are getting worse, I can't deal with normal size bugs, let alone this one, that actually had a jockey on its back! I am just so afraid that there is going to be a mess of them, and I am continually cleaning, so I know it is not from a dirty home. Is it possible to find just a single one now and then, or are they always in tribes? Can anyone make me feel better about this situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden