Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:43 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I'm in your area and planted well over 40 bare-root trees (seedlings) and shrubs between late Feb. and early April. Since then, they've been hit with cold weather, very heavy rains (10+ inches in May), this last dry spell, and me blasting them with the hose.

They're all living just fine in the clay and rock of No. "Bama. ("new lots" are the worst).

A few of the acid-lovers got chlorosis, so while they are babies, I feed them a little. I can't change the soil PH, but over time, the soil will come 'round since I keep a big ring of mulch up around them.

This clay drains well, unless you have a low spot that holds water. If so, plant a water lover in there and stand back.

I'd love to set up a drip system for the summers here, but once the trees are established, it's on mother nature to keep them alive. For now, I drag the hose around and water 'em if they don't pass the finger test (stick finger under mulch, if dry, water).

I don't baby them too much. I'll let them get a little dry on purpose every other week if it's not raining. This way, they appreciate me more :-)
Howdy Caution!

No kidding about new subdivision's clay & rock. That's what I have

Yesterday after the rain, I put in another azalea in a previously tilled soil. I dug down 12" deep until I hit clay & rock, but I could see they were dripping wet. So I think while they drain, they don't drain as fast as loose/ amended soil.

I am a bit paranoid about not enough watering/ too much watering because I am new at this! I had two wild redbuds that's not doing so well while my nursery bought red maple & crepe myrtle are doing just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 12:40 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
Yup, redbuds will do that. If you purchased or "gathered" dormant seedlings and planted them, they sit for a while (as long as a month) looking dead, then spring to life a little. Then wait for the roots to catch up before taking off.

If you move any tree out of dormancy, chances are they'll be shocked (just like we are when we move) and need to adjust. I would assume the clay (in a new lot) is much more alkaline than the soil in the understory/border where they normally grow. They're cheap or free though, so if they don't make it, get some more.

I don't buy trees in the pots. I like to get the Arbor Day Seedlings and stick 'em in the ground.

We have a new small business nursery that just opened near us though, so we might break the rule and buy one or two crepes from them, just for good karma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden