U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:53 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,872,879 times

Advertisements

We haven't seen any on our tomato plants...yet, and every year we battle them.

This year since we planted so many tomatoes, we decided to puff the "seven" on them. What's the the right amount ..or too much "seven" ???
How often should we puff the "seven" ???
Also... we planted many bell pepper plants this year, do the green horned worms like bell pepper plants, too ???
One thing that LOVES green horned worms...is our chickens.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 03:40 PM

18,265 posts, read 37,402,228 times
I've picked about two dozen off of my tomato plants so far, but yeah, I've heard they will eat bell pepper plants too.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:43 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,009,780 times
Tomato Horn Worms can indeed be a big problem. I have always managed them by hand-removal, and because I grow only 3 or 4 plants per year, I am able to do that. I do always worry about pesticides on edible crops, so please be careful. Your local county cooperative extension can give you good advice about control measures, pesticide use, etc.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:48 PM

263 posts, read 701,306 times
we grow 3-4,000 tomato plants each year, and we pick off any worms we see. we never seem to have too many of them. i can't stand the nasty things, so i use tongs to gently pick them off and oops, green guts all over.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:49 PM

14,709 posts, read 29,311,516 times
As an experiment, I planted one patio tomato plant. The reason being is that I have a resident raccoon, skunk and possum that visit on occasion. So far, so good with the wildlife, and no tomato hornworms. But what I do have are the tiny green cutworms chewing holes in the leaves. I've looked for the hornworms, and haven't seen any, so I know that it's not them. I picked the larger tomatoes, and sprayed BT on the leaves. The plant grew like a weed, so next year I'll plant regular tomato plants in much larger containers, and also some pickling cucumbers.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:15 AM

22,354 posts, read 20,203,764 times
We usually get one or two, but haven't seen any this year. We have bird feeders up year round and I wonder if birds snack on them.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
We haven't seen any on our tomato plants...yet, and every year we battle them.

This year since we planted so many tomatoes, we decided to puff the "seven" on them. What's the the right amount ..or too much "seven" ???
How often should we puff the "seven" ???
Also... we planted many bell pepper plants this year, do the green horned worms like bell pepper plants, too ???
One thing that LOVES green horned worms...is our chickens.

Thanks
It is good to know that chicken love tomato hornworms. I have, thus far, been discouraging the chooks from wandering into the veggie garden, but I may change my mind about that. . . I am the proud "mama" of 4 girls, a BPR, RIR, Ameracauna, and a mix that looks like B.O / Wydonette cross.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:41 AM

37,718 posts, read 67,338,288 times
Sevin is evil stuff.

Plant marigolds along with your tomatoes, the more the merrier. I have never seen a hornworm in my garden.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sevin is evil stuff.

Plant marigolds along with your tomatoes, the more the merrier. I have never seen a hornworm in my garden.
I always plant marigold,( and other odiferous plants), amougst my veggies. . . I'm not sure it's 100 % effective, but it can't hurt!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:24 AM

6,039 posts, read 10,065,227 times
Hire a small neighbor child to pick them off, and pay them for every worm they bring you. When my son was small, I paid him a quarter for every worm he found on the plants. Needless to say, my plants were always worm-free, and my son found great glee in spending his "own" money when the ice cream man came around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden