Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 PM

699 posts, read 2,894,297 times

Advertisements

Just picked our first red tomato today. All look good on this particular plant. Others, however, not doing so well. Large brown growth on the underside. I hope it's not tomato blight. Maybe just too much rain. We are in DE. Anyone else see this problem on their tomatoes? I saw this article on comcast and now I'm concerned. Plant disease hits eastern US veggies early, hard | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-science/20090706/US.Farm.Scene.Late.Blight/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 10:47 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,055 times
Great thread..i was contemplating starting this one as well but anyhow..

Out here in this part of California, so far so good.. My Sun Sugars just recently started producing..and are ripening more tomatoes every day..

Just had the first Roma come off one of the two plants i have..This same plant has had issues with Blossom end rot but i think i got it under control.

The other Roma has huge fruit about a week from ripening..and the Beef Stakes continues to get larger..

Weather wise, it has been a weird up and down summer so far. 100 one day and 78 the next. Which may be part of why i have been battling the blossom end which claimed about a dozen tomatoes before i got a handle on it.

Last year, someone started a similar thread and i found it quite informative to see how everyone growing them had fared as we had similar challenges locally as other posters had mentioned in their respective regions. I hope many people chime in with their own reports.. info such as this can help everyone out there when we have weird summers like this..

On another forum, devoted to palms, members there started a "Frost and freeze report" which is currently helping people here in CA. who are just beginning to work with newer species get an idea of how these are and/or will preform for different areas of the state..This is info which has been lacking, for the most part, in this area of the country..

As far as veggies, collecting data through posting threads here or in other such related forums each year can help track growing trends both positive or negative in all areas of the country..rep for you..and good luck

Old 07-09-2009, 01:50 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Report from Seattle:

So far we have had some exceptionally warm and dry weather for the last 5 or 6 weeks and the tomato plants are thriving. No tomatoes yet, just teeny green globelings which will hopefully mature in the coming weeks.

Last summer tomato plants in Seattle were failure. This year is looking much better. Fingers crossed.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:07 AM

855 posts, read 2,395,816 times
We have eight plants going and they're doing well with all at least three feet tall, some approaching five. None have ripened yet but most have some good fruit on them and are getting there. Ours were planted in early May and the last few weeks it's been mostly cool (For this time of year) and dry here in our part of NW Indiana. I give them a good watering every other day regardless.

I don't eat them much but my wife loves them and is looking forward to having some from our little patch. I'd give it another week or two before we have some ripe enough to harvest.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:46 AM

672 posts, read 2,112,830 times
Midlands of South Carolina:
I have 2 container tomatoes. Both are out of control! They are about 4 ft tall and have grown over my homemade cages, back down to the ground and have started growing back upright. My favorite is the heirloom sungold cherry tomato. The tomatoes don't make it into the house. I eat them right off the plant. The other is a red pear heirloom. The taste and consistency is coming second place to the sungold. I will grow the sungold next year. Both plants are very prolific.

I bought both plants at a plant show at the Farmers Market back in April.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:03 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
My cousins tomatoes are doing very well . i dont know what type they are though but they sure are big and beautifull. full of color and taste . I cant grow anything in this heat though too hot for me and the plants LOL !!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 07:21 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Horrible. I tried doing containers on the deck this year and DD got a little over zealous with the watering, then they got dried out because DH didn't water them at all when the rest of us were gone for a week. Hopefully they will bounce back.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:28 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
Not good in Tampa. Our growing season is almost over for now, but it was just too dry, then too hot, then too wet. We only got two tennis ball sized tomatoes per plant. Very unusual.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:38 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,610,522 times
Northern VA --

My tomatoes are doing great. I haven't planted any in years. I just used some black pots from redoing our frontyard landscaping. The cherry tomatoes have been huge. I've picked about 8 tomatoes from the bush tomato plant. (seen in photo)
Attached Thumbnails
How are your tomatoes doing?-img_2321.jpg  

Old 07-10-2009, 08:59 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
South Jersey here....no red ones yet. We have 4 Supersonics, 4 Burpee Big Boys, and 6 Monster matoes. Lots of fruit on the Supersonics and Big Boys. Just now getting flowers on the Monster matoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden