Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:13 AM

593 posts, read 2,893,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
Thank you Shagbark. I am in south-central NC.
I am more certain now about the ID'd I gave with your location except the azalea. Are they flowering now or in the spring?
And the best thank you you can give me is to click that little (+) link down below. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 08:10 AM

596 posts, read 2,875,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
I am more certain now about the ID'd I gave with your location except the azalea. Are they flowering now or in the spring?
And the best thank you you can give me is to click that little (+) link down below. Thanks!
Sounds good thanks. They are flowering right now.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:30 AM

593 posts, read 2,893,545 times
Quote:
Sounds good thanks. They are flowering right now.
Do they look like the photos at the link below?
Encore Azalea - More Blooms, More Often (TM)

[+] pretty pleassssse

Old 07-13-2009, 01:10 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,130 times
1,2,3, and 4 in group 1 are Abelia. You can google them and find info about them. I like them, I have two. They're nice if you can allow them to grow unhindered by any sort of drastic shaping. Cut down about a third of the old wood (just be observant and you can tell the differenc) to the ground every spring to cause it to put out new sprouts from the ground and it will be fuller. In my zone (8b) they are evergreen. A lot of people don't like them, but I think it's because they have them planted as foundation shrubs and that is just not a good way to use these. They are beautiful if they're allowed to grow into their natural shape.

And 1 and 2 in group 2 are definitely dogwood.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:40 PM

596 posts, read 2,875,958 times
Thanks Luvvarkansas. I do believe they look more like the Abelia than the Azaleas. The Azaleas seem quite a bit larger (the flowers). I will try to cut back the woody interior because they look so pitifully unnurtured and uncared for right now. I'm excited to have some nice plant discoveries.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:50 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,130 times
Quote:
The Azaleas seem quite a bit larger (the flowers). I will try to cut back the woody interior because they look so pitifully unnurtured and uncared for right now. I'm excited to have some nice plant discoveries.
Yes, azalea flowers are lots bigger than abelia flowers.

I have the golden-leaved kind of abelia. My mom gave me two plants, and I put one in the sun and one in filtered shade from crepe myrtles. The one in the sun has kept its golden color, but has not had as pretty a shape as the one in the shade. I've had to cut down some old wood on the sunny one to make it bush out at the bottom, but not the one in the shade! Now, the shady one has lost its golden color, but its leaves are still pretty....a nice apple green, and contrasted with the red stems (new growth), it's very pretty. It even blooms reasonably well, and is arching out....I like it.

I don't know if I said it before, and it really might not make any difference, but I would wait until early spring to do the cutting back. Just do some research on that to make sure. Hope you get them back into shape and enjoy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden