U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 10:36 AM

882 posts, read 4,341,739 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I live in Houston, TX and recently I noticed 6-7 patches of Crabgrass in my backyard. What can I do to remove them? I tried removing them but they are very very strong. Even my husband was unable to pull them out.

Also, if I pull it out (somehow) it will leave a brown stain on the garden where the soil will be visible. What are some suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 08:38 AM

3,763 posts, read 11,647,865 times
Crabgrass - early in the season you can handpull it. But by now, it would have to be dug out.

Or - you can use a weedkiller/crabgrass killer (spray it - it will die).

If you do dig it out or pull it out - come fall (when the temp cools a bit) put down some grass patch or other grass seed and water - and you'll have new lawn!

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Thanks Briolat21,

Yesterday I tried pulling it out but it is very very strong. I will get the spray and use it on the Crabgrass. Also, I have read that I should keep my grass a little taller during summer so that crabgrass seeds don't germinate.

Thanks,

Old 07-22-2009, 04:18 PM

8,307 posts, read 36,951,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Thanks Briolat21,

Yesterday I tried pulling it out but it is very very strong. I will get the spray and use it on the Crabgrass. Also, I have read that I should keep my grass a little taller during summer so that crabgrass seeds don't germinate.

Thanks,
Hold up...

Are you sure that's crabgrass in Houston?

Does it look like this:

If so that's actually Dallis Grass (some will call it Johnson Grass, but I believe this is a misnomer).

Lots of Houston lawns have bad infestations. It seems to be much more heat and drought tolerant than St. Augustine and is very difficult to eradicate.

This year I will apply a pre-emergent weed killer to prevent the same thing next year, but in the meantime I have had success (after a suggestion from another CD user) by mowing, allowing the Dallisgrass to regrow a few inches, then hitting the central node of each weed with roundup - taking care not to get any of the surrounding grass, of course. It may require several weeks of mowing and applying herbicide to kill the suckers.

I dug a few out in the backyard then leveled the holes with sod, but that apparently makes excellent habitat for more dallisgrass plants. Counterproductive...

Old 07-22-2009, 10:30 PM

855 posts, read 2,286,730 times
I had a bad problem with crabgrass a couple of years ago. As mentioned, once they're going in the summer it's best to dig them out the best you can or hit them with RoundUp. If you try to pull them, soak the area good beforehand because it will make your life a lot easier. Remove an inch or so of the surrounding dirt, fill it back in and reseed afterward.

Dallisgrass is probably worse than crabgrass because it's a perennial and probably harder to kill than crabgrass. I had a family member in Beaumont that had a bad infestation of it and must have hit it with RoundUp 3 or 4 times over a couple of months before it was really dead.

Either one will reseed freely so a good pre-emergent herbicide is a good idea. I put down some Lesco fertilizer with the herbicide Dimension in it the next spring after getting rid of it the best I could the previous year. It worked very well for me. There's another herbicide that's supposed to be a good pre-emergent, Tupersan, I believe it was.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:35 AM

Hi jimboburnsy,

You got the picture absolutely right! That is exactly what I have in my backyard. It is in the form of small patches. So, it is called Dallisgrass! How can I remove it? I can't pull it out since it is very strong. I am afraid to use the RoundUp to kill the Dalisgrass since it will also destroy my beautiful lawn.

When I look at the pictures of Dalisgrass and Crabgrass they almost looks similar!!

Old 07-23-2009, 09:07 AM

8,307 posts, read 36,951,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Hi jimboburnsy,

You got the picture absolutely right! That is exactly what I have in my backyard. It is in the form of small patches. So, it is called Dallisgrass! How can I remove it? I can't pull it out since it is very strong. I am afraid to use the RoundUp to kill the Dalisgrass since it will also destroy my beautiful lawn.

When I look at the pictures of Dalisgrass and Crabgrass they almost looks similar!!
They do look similar. As DLK55 mentioned Dallisgrass is probably worse. If you don't want to spray round-up I would go to lowes or home depot and get a hand edger (better than a shovel for this application). If you don't know what that is, it is basically a half-circle of metal with an edge on the round side attached to a long handle. You can place it at the edge of the weed's base, hold it at a 45 degree angle with the blade pointed towards the plant, drive it in with your foot, rock the handle a bit to loosen the weed and attempt to pull the sucker out. If it doesn't work, move the blade 90 degrees around the weed from the first incision and repeat. It should come out with a satisfying cacophony of popping root fibers. Make sure to fill the hole and find some way to get some grass over it or it will simply generate more Dallisgrass.

I do think that a lawn food with a pre-emergent pesticide is a very good idea, just make sure you get one that is designed for or at least compatible with St. Augustine grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden