Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 02:06 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,655,110 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, my grandfather gave me a Japanese maple seedling that was an offspring of his 50+ year old tree. I baby this thing BIG TIME.

Since I he gave it to me, it has lived in a container. I have repotted it a couple of times to give it more room.

For the past year, it has lived against my house, where it gets good, strong sun until about 2 pm (going by summer sun rates). I do this to help shield it from brutal NC afternoon heat. July and August can be sweltering, and can do a even a strong plant in.

That leads to my question- can it handle all day, hot sun?
I'd love to get it in the ground, and its large enough now (probably 3-4' tall), but worry that the hot sun will do it in... I dont have anywhere that has shade from the afternoon heat- if i put it in the ground, it will have all day sun.

If it cant stand the heat, I'll leave it in the pot- lord knows they are slow growing and could happily live in a container for the next 5 years (at least!) LOL, but I'd really rather have it in the front YARD, and not by my porch LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 02:19 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,748,922 times
There are many, many different varieties of Japanese maples. Do you know what you have? Have a pic?

Also, the vast majority of Japanese Maples are grafted. So if you have an "offshoot" that came from below the graft, you don't necessarily have the same tree as the "parent" tree. Not sure how much grafting they were doing 50 years ago though.

Some of the most common red Japanese maples live here in SC in full sun, but they kinda look like crap when the heat comes. The ends of leaves turn brown, but the tree lives. They just don't necessarily thrive.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
There are many, many different varieties of Japanese maples. Do you know what you have? Have a pic?

Also, the vast majority of Japanese Maples are grafted. So if you have an "offshoot" that came from below the graft, you don't necessarily have the same tree as the "parent" tree. Not sure how much grafting they were doing 50 years ago though.

Some of the most common red Japanese maples live here in SC in full sun, but they kinda look like crap when the heat comes. The ends of leaves turn brown, but the tree lives. They just don't necessarily thrive.

not a clue what kind... LOL. i tried to find a pic of his but no luck (even though im certain i have one SOMEWHERE. The pic I attached isnt the greatest (and ignore the Halloween deco's LOL) , but its the only one i have - id take one now, but it would be kind of barren looking LOL

the leaves come out red, then fade to a greenish color.
Attached Thumbnails
Japanese Maple-esmerelda.jpg  

Old 03-06-2011, 05:01 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,748,922 times
We can at least tell it's an upright, guessing Acer palmatum atropurpureum. That's a guess. How big is your grandfathers?

If that's what it is, it can handle a lot of sun, and actually will stay redder longer in full sun. But you might get some leaf burn along the edges in midsummer going forward if you put it in full sun. It doesn't bother most people though. What part of NC are you in?

Also, from your pic, you can go ahead and prune the little suckers (shoots) coming up from the bottom if the plant. That will send more energy to the rest of the tree. Or, if they pull out nicely, you can try and transplant those and give them away.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
We can at least tell it's an upright, guessing Acer palmatum atropurpureum. That's a guess. How big is your grandfathers?

If that's what it is, it can handle a lot of sun, and actually will stay redder longer in full sun. But you might get some leaf burn along the edges in midsummer going forward if you put it in full sun. It doesn't bother most people though. What part of NC are you in?

Also, from your pic, you can go ahead and prune the little suckers (shoots) coming up from the bottom if the plant. That will send more energy to the rest of the tree. Or, if they pull out nicely, you can try and transplant those and give them away.
thanks, its actually a pic from 2 halloweens ago lol, the suckers were pruned off some time ago

your pic looks like paps tree - his is (total guesses here) probably 12-15 tall and probably the same if not slightly more 'wide' (tree canopy)

i noticed the leaf burn the first year i had it, which is why i moved it so it got a little more shade, was worried i was killing it off (trust me, im good with plants in general, but trees arent my thing LOL)

zone 7 - central NC, just north of raleigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden