Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:08 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,139 times

Advertisements

The deer prune my vinca minor every winter but it does it no harm, and may even do it good. It was covered with blooms this spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 05:56 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
DH is about ready to put his foot down on how much more of the front yard I can make into flower beds so I have claimed that little strip between the sidewalk and the street.
That generally doesn't "belong" to the homeowner; it's usually the property (or at least the easement) of the city. Not saying you can't plant there, but I'd at least check to see if the city is going to rip it out if you do.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:45 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
You can always spray your flowers against deer.

We used to live in a city, and I fought with my neighbors across the street constantly about "our" front yard. They used to park on it. Anything I planted they would just run right over. When I would ask them to please park on the street or in front of their own house, they would just reply, "that property isn't yours, it's the city's." Ah, just one of the many reasons we gave up city living.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
You can always spray your flowers against deer.

We used to live in a city, and I fought with my neighbors across the street constantly about "our" front yard. They used to park on it. Anything I planted they would just run right over. When I would ask them to please park on the street or in front of their own house, they would just reply, "that property isn't yours, it's the city's." Ah, just one of the many reasons we gave up city living.

Yes , and if it rains...you can spray them over and over and over.......And if you have things all over an acre yard, that they eat, it can run into an awful lot of work, and spray!!!

Old 08-05-2009, 05:00 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
Yeah, we do have an acre, and we've had near record rain up here in Ct. this summer. I have spent a small fortune on spray so far. I assume the OP has a smaller lot though, since they have a sidewalk.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:55 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
our lot is a little over 1/2 acre. I can stand in the back and see everything I need to do. We moved from 1.5 acre in atlanta which was too much for me to handle.
I have been using Deer Off which is the only deer repellent Home Depot carries. It is 18$ but is supposed to last 3 to 4 months. I need to find a concentrate which is more economical. Any suggestions? I guess I'll just have to budget in the deer repellent just like I do groceries, gas and mortgage. I must garden and that is all there is to it.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:10 AM

I have resorted to using fencing around plants and beds that I value. I have also resorted to planting most of my summer flowers in containers, and they are on our deck. I have my hand truck at the head of the stairs, just in case a bold deer may attempt to come up on the deck.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:30 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,546,304 times
Just to clarify for people - you do OWN that land. If it is within your deeded plot - it is yours. You are paying taxes on it.

That said, if there is an easement on it (For access to utilities, or whatever) it just means that the utility agents (city, whomever) has the right to access that land and if they cause damage on that land to anything you've planted - you have no recourse (they will not replant your bed).

The OP seems to be well aware of that - but for people who are not sure of the facts, an easement doesn't mean you don't own the land, it just means you own the land but there may be restrictions on your use of the land or restrictions on your being able to bar other people from the land.

I've seen a lot of confusion about this. Our HOA has an easement to have its sign and berm landscaping on the first two houses in our subdivisions lots. Our HOA thinks its "community property". Well - I guarantee you that if the neighborhood children started picnicing there daily, the homeowners would have ever right to evict them. It is private property, with an easement. That is very different than city property or community property.

Your landscaping below the sidewalk sounds beautiful. In many of the older neighborhoods we've driven through (in MI and Ohio) people did this with drought tolerant perrenials and even spring bulbs - always more pretty to look at than sparse grass!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:38 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,962 times
I don't know how many of these plants can grow in your area or will also be heat tolerant as well as deer resistant, but here is a website that gives a pretty good list of perennials that are deer resistant.

Deer Resistant Plants - Deer-Resistant Garden Plants for Deer-Resistant Gardens, Deer-Resistant Plants - - White Flower Farm

Good Luck and i hope you find something that will work for that space.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:11 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,074,040 times
There are many circumstances/senarios as to who owns what. If you are in a no deed restrictions community, all you own is what is within your surveyed lot lines. Your street may be paved 25 ft wide but the city/county may have a 50 ft wide right of way. A few years ago, the county decided that many of the streets in my community should have sidewalks that nobody wanted. A sidewalk was installed 6" beyond my property line. Many of us decided to plant trees between the sidewalk and the street. After years of growth, the county decided they were getting too big. Tree trimmers came in and wacked them to look like broomsticks. Last year, Verizon installed FIOS cables on the other side of the street. My community has utility poles at the rear that run on the property line [ with 5ft easement]. The power company 'FPL' wacked every tree with a 7 year hurricane trim.
If you live in a sub-division with deed restrictions/HOA fees, what you do or don't own beyond your property line is according to if the developer deeded over a right of way [and it's width] to the county for road maintenence or is it private property of the community that pays for repaving, etc.
If you live in a subdivision that is a condo/HOA, everything beyond your dwelling walls is owned by all residents and the 'board' decides what you can and can not do with a whole bunch of rules and regs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden