Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 06:33 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,055,498 times

Advertisements

I am growing Okra this year for the first time. I discovered over the past couple days there are clusters of ants on a couple of my okra pods destroying them. I read online they like the nectar from the pods while they pods are developing.

Is there something I can spray on the pods? that is organic and won't hurt the plants? or something I can sprinkle around the base of the plant?

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 06:55 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
I don't know if it will work for your situation or not, but I had FIRE ants all in my flower bed and kept reading suggestions to put coffee grounds in it to get rid of them. I was skeptical but it worked! I got tons of grounds free from starbucks, I go towards the end of a shift and get a big huge bag. I drink coffee but this was much faster, I got enough to cover my bed in a couple days, and the fire ants are gone.

HTH

Old 08-09-2009, 11:04 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I don't know if it will work for your situation or not, but I had FIRE ants all in my flower bed and kept reading suggestions to put coffee grounds in it to get rid of them. I was skeptical but it worked! I got tons of grounds free from starbucks, I go towards the end of a shift and get a big huge bag. I drink coffee but this was much faster, I got enough to cover my bed in a couple days, and the fire ants are gone.

HTH
Wow, hope this wasn't just a fluke! I'm going to try it on a potted plant that fire ants have moved into, also in my garden (which isn't much yet, but the fire ants are already there....I hate 'em).

Old 08-10-2009, 01:48 PM

Thanks ladies I am going to maybe call my county extension and the local green house to see if they any ideas. If not I will try to coffee grounds thanks a bunch!

Old 08-10-2009, 03:01 PM

Well the greenhouse was absolutely no help.. so I am hoping the county extension emails me back...

Old 08-12-2009, 12:13 PM

*Update!

I found a solution! I emailed my local extension and they were very helpful and I emailed Gardener's supply and they were also very helpful.

There is a product called Diatomaceous Earth that insects with exoskeletons do not like, it's fossilized shells and it will tear them apart. It's a dust you sprinkle on and won't hurt that plant but repels the ants!

Plus my county extension guy told me lemon scented dish soap can work. 2 Tablespoons for every gallon of water.

You want to know what is really silly, the same greenhouse that was no help at all. They carry Diatomaceous earth but never suggested it to me! Kind of frustrating. If I didn't need it right away I would but it from the Gardner's supply folks.

Anyways thought I would pass this along to anyone that runs into this problem in the future!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:34 PM

955 posts, read 4,087,917 times
Just a first impression - from the title of this thread I would say that you don't have help ants at all, but some other kind. Hope you're able to control them.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:42 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Funny, that is exactly what I was going to suggest. Diatomaceous earth is wonderful for a number of things. I also give it to the stray cats in the area in their foods as it prevents worms. Works for dogs too. Perfectly safe. Happy you found out about this product. I purchase the human grade as the other is a little questionable on the safty of it's uses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden