Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 01:56 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

I have had photinia shrubs for years and never seen this before. The leaves are curling into a tube, the long dimension of the tube is parrallel to the central stem, and the leaf is still green. We are in a the second year of a bad drought here, but I'm watering the lawn areas these are in enough to keep the St. Augustine grass green and to keep the Asiatic Jasmine around the photinias from wilting.

I had two photinias die in the last couple of weeks, turned completely brown. I thought I was watering enough, so I'm wondering if these deaths and the leaf curl is some kind of disease or is it from the drought.

This leaf curl is not the distorted kind of look you see in other web site descriptions of something called "leaf curl" such as this illustration.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/p...0051226367.jpg

Any thoughts on this will be welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 02:17 PM

68 posts, read 373,468 times
Could be Leaf Rollers. Some moths lay their eggs like that. Did you unroll one and look inside ?

When I see them I just squish the tube between finger & thumb .............. That takes care of them right off with no noxious chemicals or expense.
HTH,
S

Last edited by sienna; 08-25-2009 at 02:25 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 03:45 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
photinias are notorious for fungus problems. Many in the South have already died from it. If the leaves just curled up and the bushes died, I would suspect a root problem. Take some affected leaves to the county Ag center and have an agent look at them. That's really the only way to diagnose the problem and perhaps fix it before you lose others. Treating an ailing plant for something it "might" have is not helping the plant.

If your other plants in the area are doing okay, it still might not be getting enough water. Again, the ag agent should be able to help you.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:48 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
I was thinking bugs too.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
When we moved to Atlanta in 1979 you could see red tips (photinia) everywhere. Thery were very popular and way over planted. Slowly they died out and now you would be hard pressed to see any in Atlanta, either in landscapes or nurseries. I don't think they are asked for or recommended anymore in the south at all. I'm surprised your red tips arew stillo aliver with the terrible weather conditions there. Unless you have alot more and it would ruin your landscape I would start replacing them and not try to keep them going.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sienna View Post
Could be Leaf Rollers. Some moths lay their eggs like that. Did you unroll one and look inside ?

When I see them I just squish the tube between finger & thumb .............. That takes care of them right off with no noxious chemicals or expense.
HTH,
S
I did unroll one and didn't see anything, I will check a few more.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm done overwatering stuff to try and keep it alive, if its not drought tolerant, its going to be replaced with something that is.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:29 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I did unroll one and didn't see anything, I will check a few more.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm done overwatering stuff to try and keep it alive, if its not drought tolerant, its going to be replaced with something that is.
A good replacement is cleyera. It needs a little more shade than photinia, but the red new growth looks about the same. Shiny leaves too.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:00 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
I know that you said you unrolled a leaf and couldn't see a bug, but you might want to try poking holes in the soil around the bush and applying some systemic rose/shrub - fertilizer/insecticide. I have had to deal with leaf rollers for the last 4 years out here on the West Coast and the little buggers do a fabulous job of destroying the leaves of my Rhodies and lilacs.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:59 AM

Thank you all for your replies. After taking another look at the leaves it does look like it could be leaf curl. Some of the leaves have the slightly distorted look to them and there is some kind of black mold or dust in places on the leaves. I'm going to try something recommended for leaf curl and see if that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden