Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 03:29 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,782 times

Advertisements

I want to get some kind of prickly shrubs/bushes that I can plant under my windows to keep burglars out(and teenagers in). I've read about the spanish bayonet but I'm getting mixed reviews about how big they get. It seems they are slow growing but I've seen photos where they are huge. Is there a small plant/shrub similar in nature the the spanish bayonet that stays under 2 feet or so? Right now there is nothing there so I have a blank slate. The areas I want to plant gets morning sun only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 03:54 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,204,465 times
Feel free to take the fully grown holly bushes from in front of my house, haha. Mine are huge, and I swear get spikier whenever I hack them back from encroaching on the walkway, but they deter me from powerwashing the house (even with heavy duty coveralls), and I think burglars would steer clear

Old 03-17-2013, 04:38 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,435,565 times
Just kidding, but look at Pyracantha (commonly and painfully known as Firethorn):

Scarlet Firethorn (Pyracantha coccinea)

Quote:
Pyracantha makes an excellent hedge. The shrub can also be used as a barrier or as cover for slopes in hot, dry areas. Pyracantha grows well in containers. It is not recommended for planting around the foundation of a single story building, because it grows too large
HGIC 1072 Pyracantha : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

Old 03-17-2013, 06:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
For more dramatic color spring-fall but plenty of sharp thorns, I recommend
Berberis thunbergii, Japanese Barberry. Leaves can be green, pink or burgundy
(my favorite) and turn bright colors in fall. They grow to about 8' tall and can be sheared like a hedge though I prefer a more natural look. If a burglar wants to get in that badly they will just place a tarp over any bushes you have, but it should at least slow the down.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:40 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
What about roses? Easy to care for and hearty. I get mine for free off Craigslist from people just giving them away.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I agree about barberries. Pretty colored foliage and really painful thorns. Grow almost anywhere.

If the site is quite sunny and the ground is somewhat barren, you might try prickly pear. But keep your kids and pets strictly away from it.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:47 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times
Barberries, they look like a regular shrub.
Roses are about as thorny as you get but you can have maintenance issues.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:47 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,435,565 times
Ack, Japanese barberries (Berberis thunbergii) are listed as an invasive species.

Invasive Species: Plants - Japanese Barberry (Berberis thunbergii)

OP - Yucca / Spanish Bayonet grows slowly, ~3' to 6' height, plus has ~6' 'flower'. Some species / varieties are native to North Carolina (and much of North America). IMO it's pretty and is a nice exotic-looking accent, but it can spread (lots of seeds). Parts of it are edible, but I've never tried to eat it. It can draw blood.

IMO I wouldn't plant a prickly shrub (or any plant) so close to a window that I couldn't maintain the window. However I do have some switchgrasses planted 'near' some windows (they can draw blood too).

Here's a list of recommended NC native plants:

Recommended Native Species - Growing Native! - NC Native Plant Society

Here's a list of NC native plants:

Trees, Shrubs, and Woody Vines of North Carolina

Old 03-17-2013, 11:06 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,778,396 times
Lots of nasty plants have been listed so far.

For something that looks innocent and very "traditional" landscape try a Holly that only has one very sharp point. -American Holly 'Clarrissa'- They don't get tall, they stay dense and have pretty berries. Shrubs: Ilex cornuta 'Carissa' The ones I have hurt like heck from that single point.

Another popular "shrub" is the knockout rose. At the moment I have several puncture wounds from pruning mine (through leather gloves) and they are excellent at grabbing clothing and holding on. Roses: Rosa Knock Out

Old 03-17-2013, 11:25 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
My parents planted holly around the windows of our house to keep prying eyes at bay.

As for the pyracantha, the birds love it when those berries get a little overripe. Plant the pyracanthas where you can watch our drunken avian friends wobble through the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden