Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 04:49 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,517,556 times

Advertisements

As my husband walked past the corner of our house last evening he was attacked and stung by bald face hornets. He found their nest in the large Viburnum at the corner of our house. I had mowed under it with the rider earlier in the day, with no problem, not knowing it was there! Then this morning as he walked past the shrub he was stung again. 5 stungs all together! Thank goodness he suffered no allergic reaction. I had him put an anti itch cream on them, and he said they didn't even hurt.
We are thinking the squirrels that are feeding on the dogwood berries nearby are disturbing the hornets. They come down over our house and through the viburnum.
I have never known of such hornet bahavior in the 25 years we have lived here.
Has anyone else had such an experience?

It is also the first year we have had a large nest so close to our house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 04:52 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,775,380 times
Those things happen sometimes and for no reason. I've been in simular situtations but not stung too bad. When you mowed maybe is was cooler then when he was near them. The heat usually brings out the worst in them. Best to wait until dark and hit them with hornet spray while they are all 'home'.

Just read your message again...

The one thing I enjoy doing with the big nests is to wait for a frost and then when the hive has died, mount it inside the house. Makes a great conversation piece. We've got a nice on in the entryway.

Careful

Old 08-20-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
Those things happen sometimes and for no reason. I've been in simular situtations but not stung too bad. When you mowed maybe is was cooler then when he was near them. The heat usually brings out the worst in them. Best to wait until dark and hit them with hornet spray while they are all 'home'.

Just read your message again...

The one thing I enjoy doing with the big nests is to wait for a frost and then when the hive has died, mount it inside the house. Makes a great conversation piece. We've got a nice on in the entryway.

Careful
My husband has collected the nests for many many years. He always waits until after a hard freeze when they are no longer in the nests. He still has some in our storage building, but the squirrels got in there and destroyed most or all of them.

It really wasn't all that hot when they attacked yesterday, and this morning it was only in the 60s! I don't think my head was more than 2 feet below the nest when I was mowing, and it was just before noon.
I did have a straw hat on, and gloves,long sleeves, and pants. Hubby had on short sleeves and a cap. One got him on the back of his head, and the others on his hand and arm. This morning's got him just below an eye!

Last fall I was attacked by yellow jackets when I ran over their nest with my riding mower. Wow did their stings hurt! Now I will be paranoid about both of those nasty critters!

Hubby was going to spray after dark last eve, but the can of 20 foot spray is not very full, and he was afraid it was not enough. I called the county extension agent. He wasn't in but is to call back tomorrow.

We are too old to contend with such things by ourselves.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:20 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,661,783 times
Bald faced hornets are the black bodied ones with the light faces, correct?

They build what looks like paper mache nests?

I hate those things. I got thumped pretty hard as a little boy at summer camp in Tennessee. It was probably between 8 and a dozen stings, but it felt like 100's. The worst one was on the back of my ear. The whole side of my head was swollen - massive histamine and pyrogenic reaction. I couldn't even crack a smile due to the swollen cheek.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Bald faced hornets are the black bodied ones with the light faces, correct?

They build what looks like paper mache nests?

I hate those things. I got thumped pretty hard as a little boy at summer camp in Tennessee. It was probably between 8 and a dozen stings, but it felt like 100's. The worst one was on the back of my ear. The whole side of my head was swollen - massive histamine and pyrogenic reaction. I couldn't even crack a smile due to the swollen cheek.
Yes, that is the bald faced hornets.
I hope you carry a kit with you in case you are stung again. That could have been fatal.
My husband is allergic to wasps, bur apparently not to hornets. That surprises me. But he has been taking antihistamine tablets daily for allergies, so maybe that is the answer?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:15 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,837,740 times
See if you can find a Rescue brand Hornet Trap. I think you can get them at Home Depot or Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Rescue Yellow Jacket Control Trap: Home Improvement

Old 08-20-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
See if you can find a Rescue brand Hornet Trap. I think you can get them at Home Depot or Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Rescue Yellow Jacket Control Trap: Home Improvement
Thanks, thats's a good idea. I will check them out, if the county agent does not come to our aid.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,776,198 times
Years ago I ran my roto tiller thru a ground wasp nest. When I finally realized what was happening I ran screaming like a banshee tearing my clothes off as I ran, even my shoes. My neighbor said I looked like one of those cartoon characters. The front lawn was littered with my clothes as they got up under my shirt and even in my underwear. Luckily I waited till I got in the house to completely get naked but then I brought some in the house with me. I swear it was horrible and I did have a bad reaction and had to go to the hospital. I was really ticked cause I had just filled up the tiller with gas and had to leave it running until it ran out. I was so afraid somebody was gonna steal my tiller while I was in the hospital. My husband tried to get close enough to turn it off and retrieve it but they where still ginning around.
My college aged son was shaking out a rug on his balcony when he hit a wasp nest and he got attacked. He passed out while trying to make it to the infirmary on campus. That is how he found out he is allergic. I always make him and his friends carry an epi pen cause I'm so afraid it's gonna happen again.
I'm glad neither you nor your DH were seriously hurt by these horrible beasts. Be careful y'all.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:04 PM

The good thing about my riding mower is that it automatically shuts off when you raise up off the seat. So, when I left it in my mad dash for the back door I didn't have to worry about it. Two of the Yellow Jackets (ground wasps) followed me in too, and one was inside my t shirt! It stung me on my chest when I was trying to smash it in the folds of the shirt. Oddly, that sting did not hurt. If I hadn't had cotton gloves on, my hands would have been covered with stings. They were covered with the buggers stinging away at the gloves!

Years ago it was Bumble Bees that attacked me when I moved a trash can to mow. I catapulted over a rail fence in my dash for safety that time.
Normally Bumble Bees are not aggressive.

I really am not paranoid about members of the wasp and bee families, but, like snakes, I have a healthy respect for the dangerous ones.
Honey bees do not bother me at all.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:23 PM

59 posts, read 434,002 times
Bald faced hornets are very nasty.. You may not be able to wait until a freeze to get trid of them. For this one I always reccomend a pro. Too dangerous for the average homeowner. Check out this link and see why. Bald Faced Hornets | Pest Cemetery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden