Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:57 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,104 times

Advertisements

I had them again on my mugho pine early this spring. The only thng I had was some Home Insect Spray (I'm not kidding). There were so many that I went ahead and used it - they disappeared and now the pine has grown back all the needles that had been eaten!

Nasty little devils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 11:06 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,218,445 times
I may have some of that here... that "Bonine" I bought last summer when I first posted this is buried somewhere in the outbuilding. lol. Guess I will be getting more tomorrow. This pine is only about 3 ft tall, so I hope they have not killed it.

Hopefully I can get lucky like you were and get regrowth before the end of the growing season...around here thats around mid October.

Yeah they are nasty things... they leach to the needles. I blasted them off and they still came back!

Old 08-26-2010, 11:10 PM

Ugh! Back again! They were on one of my Slash pines... sprayed them and they left that tree now they are 50 ft over on another Slash pine tree. They only seem to get on my Lobolly pines and Slash pines... they are not messing with my Longleaf pines, Sand pines or Pond pine.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:18 PM

I had to go out and check my mugho after reading your post. Thumped it a few times (those little buggers are hard to see unless they're moving) and didn't see any. It's important to kill the ones you see and not just spray them off - they will just go right back to the tree/bush. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2015, 07:56 PM

Wow, almost 6 years to the day I had to revisit this thread! I didn't realize it had been 6 years, how time flies!

Well anyway I went down to my trees today (the ones I posted about 6 years ago) and was heartbroken to see that there was NOT ONE needle left on either of the trees!!!!!!!! I imagine that the worms got to them again and I didn't even know it. I imagine the trees are goners now that they have been completely defoliated.

I went to a nearby "pond" pine and noticed a few on it already... so tomorrow I guess I will go back to Lowes and pick up more of the stuff I used 6 years ago. I honestly thought this was only a couple of years ago. Wow. (I did go back and read where it happened again in 2010, but wow, 5 years, lol).

Another odd thing is that many of my Loblolly and Slash pines are looking poorly right now... they have a lot of new and green needles, but I am seeing a lot of brown and "uneaten" needles on them. I do not recall them looking like this in August. It has been a warm and moist summer, so I know they are not lacking for water. My dad said he thought they did that this time of year, but I do not recall. I hope they are not diseased, I would hate to lose my pine trees.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:43 PM

Bad - bad! I think they are worse - all bugs - when it's really wet/damp weather. Hope your trees come back. I was surprised that my mugho grew the needles back.

It's dark now so I will have to check in the a.m. I have had a neighbor kid mowing this summer so I haven't been near that bush. The interesting thing is I have 2 of these bushes - both in front, each bordering my property line on opposite sides. One is 3 times bigger than the one that keeps getting attacked by these bugs.

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2015, 09:43 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
If the pines are not near any food plants, buy a pour-on systemic insecticide and pour it around the base of every pine tree on your property. It will be taken up by the roots and distributed to the entire plant. Bugs take a bite and die.

Dont use it near plants you will eat and follow the direction on the bottle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden