Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times

Advertisements

Does anyone grow berries in containers?

I have a raspberry plant about 18 inches tall in one of those Earthboxes and I'm wondering if that is enough room for it.

Last year I had planted 5 blueberry bushes too far away and the birds ate all the berries and also I think the eight 60 foot tall pine trees they were planted in front of sucked up the water I used to try to water them so four of them didn't make it.

I figured if I had them in containers I could move them in to a pop up green house to protect them from the birds when they start to produce.

Now I have two blackberry bushes each in a 10 gallon bucket that are about 18 inches tall. I have another one that is much bigger that I haven't transplanted yet. It is about 3 ft tall and actually has five branches growing off the sides of it and it even has some maroon leaves.

Can someone guide me? I'm in zone 7b/8a

Thanks,

Emily

P.S. I also bought two Kiwi bushes/vines/trees (a male and a female) that I need help with that I will post separately about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 10:21 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,699,244 times
I grow raspberries and blackberries and get a plentiful supply every year (with the exception of last year because we had a screwed up spring: extensive warmth early on followed by frost. Many other plants got "confused" also).

I never prune them, other than to take out the dead branches or to control their spread. With raspberries, this involves digging up new growth which spreads under ground (but is not excessive). For blackberries, this involves burying the tops of their stems where you want a new bush to grow (otherwise when the top of the stem grows long and bends to the ground, a new bush will form there).

Old 03-03-2013, 03:22 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
I moved a black raspberry yesterday and the root system wasn't very extensive. So I don't see why you couldn't grow it in a big enough pot as long as the exposure, soil PH etc are adequate. If you don't have luck, there's a new raspberry bred especially for pots. I found it on Monrovia's website. It is called Raspberry Shortcake. Cute name, right?

I know you are going to post another thread, but since I can't really help with the raspberries, I'll talk about my hardy kiwis. I have had two really robust "hardy kiwi" vines for 4 years. I've never gotten any kiwis. I'm going to pull them out this year. There's a local blogger I read, and she had arctic kiwi which never produced any fruit, either.

The only thing I can say about arctic kiwi is you are going to need a BIG, sturdy pergola. The vines are vigorous and get really really long.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:04 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
If I do not keep my raspberries under lock and key they will self prune. My deer love my raspberries! I have tried to plant them in multiple locations hoping that the deer would not find them – don't try that! It is frustrating because the deer will prune off every leaf until the plant dies.

The plants that I keep behind the deer fence do great. I will try pruning half a foot off of them this summer.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:05 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
There is an indestructible raspberry bush in the back yard. I prune it to the ground every year and it still keeps coming back like blazes. It was leveled late last summer and now it's got canes about four or five feet long and there will soon be berries on it, no doubt. I just wish it didn't have the world's most vicious thorns. On the good side, though, it does produce so I keep not mowing it over until after it makes berries. Then I get mad at the stickers and mow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden