Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 06:22 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,183 times

Advertisements

I'm in a newer development. They planted two trees around my house when they built it two years ago. Both trees are leaning to one side. I believe the stakes were removed too soon.

If I re-stake them, would it help straighten the trees out over time? Or is it too late? I'm afraid, I do not know what king they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 07:09 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
If they were planted from pots or burlap bags, chances are pretty high they need to be staked for a while. I would ask a local nursery or call your county extension agent, but they may want to know what kind of tree it is first. You could also ask the developer / builder where they got the trees, when they were planted, etc. Also, do you live in a windy area? That may explain the slant since they aren't staked while developing.

In higher-end developments, I've seen them go in and plant trees as the first roads are cut so that by the time the houses go up and everything is developed out, the trees are well-established while in other places, they dig a shallow hole, drop the tree and build a much volcano around the burlap bag (leaving it and the wire there).

Old 09-15-2009, 10:08 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,183 times
Not windy around here. The builder has pulled out a while ago. I'll ask a few neighbors if they know what king of trees they are.

They are not leaning too much, just enough to annoy me. The one in my backyard is still fairly small. Maybe a three inch diameter trunk and the one in front is almost twice that size.

Thanks for tips

Old 09-16-2009, 06:33 AM

955 posts, read 4,090,146 times
You may be able to straighten the smaller one, just put a stake in the direction you want to pull it. Then cable it and put a lot of tension on it. It should straighten eventually. I think the larger tree will need to be dug up and replanted. It might help to post some pictures if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden