Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 09:23 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

In our previous house in the Atlanta suburbs, we had two large koi ponds connected by a stream bed. They were installed in 1989 and I know technology has changed alot since then. Now we are in a new and hopefully last house and I miss my koi. In all that time they never died and we never lost any to predators, mainly because we built the ponds 4 ft deep. The herons and racoons came but they couldnot get to our fish.

Dh does not want another koi pond mainly because of all the work involved in maintaining previous ones and I understand that. But I really want a water garden feature and the whole family enjoyed the koi. they are fun to watch and care for.
I've had several folks come give us quotes. For a small (10x12) pond with no landscaping(I want to do that myself) and with lots of Nexus equipment with bottom drain, etc the cost is almost $13,000 but I would be able to do all the maintenance myself. A water feature with waterfall only 18 to 24" deep would cost upwards of $6k but fish would not be protected. In either case we would want a tall and attractive fence mostly to give me a garden place where I don't have to worry about deer.

So I'm trying to decide what to do. It's not just a matter of cost but that does come into play. The sound of water is so relaxing and I could get that with a pretty pond-like look and some fish but not any koi. No bottom drain and I suppose it would be easier to maintain with out many fish. I know we can't have koi and plants together in the same pond as koi destroy potted plants. That is why we built two ponds in the previous house.

It is a very nice and costly house so we would not be putting more into the house than it could support when it comes to resale but I can't even let myself think about resale for a house we've only been in 6 months.
Does anybody out there have any thoughts about this. I don't want any friction between my DH and me over this project and since it is possibel to have a koi pond I could maintain myself I am tempted. But I am thinking I could also be happy with a really nice water feature to grow aquatic plants in. If you have a nice garden have you considered a water feature or koi pond and what (besides cost) has kept you from doing it.
I really would appreciate your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 01:57 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
How about goldfish instead of koi? Goldfish nowadays come in really pretty colors and varieties, and they don't grow as big as koi. I have some really pretty goldfish. They are kind to your plants, too. There are steps you can take to help protect goldfish, such as turning a pot on it's side under water, or laying some PVC pipe on the bottom of the pond.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
but do goldfish ponds need bottom drain to help wityh cleanliness? What about maintenance for goldfish and do they overwinter? Our koi were at leadt 2 feet long and 17 years old and ate out of our hands. they were really pets.do goldfish get that tame?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:58 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
I haven't tried to feed mine out of my hands, but they do rush up to greet me when I feed them. And I don't have a bottom drain, I just have an underwater pump/filter, with a fountain head. I don't keep a fancy spray on it, I just keep it barely below the surface so it gurgles up, but there are all sorts of different options you can look into. I change the filter every month or so, and do about a third partial water change in the spring. My pond is about 700 gallons, and is 29" deep at it's deepest. They overwinter with no problem, and I do keep a floating de-icer on the surface to allow dangerous gases to escape. Since you are in NC, I think 24" deep would be fine, since you don't get the cold winters like we do in Ct.

I will DM you a link where you can learn more about goldfish ponds.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,878 times
I have goldfish in my pond and they overwinter at the bottom. They don't bother the plants so you get to have lots more variety. Having plants keeps the water filtered and oxygenated too. Shebunkens are my favorite-they are very colorful, get huge and look a lot like koi to me. My goldfish eat out of my hands and if I put my hand in the water they all come over and rub up against my fingers. I have several varieties of goldfish and have only lost 4 fish in the past 4 years-they were all fantails. I guess the fantails are a little less hardy. I have 5 that have been in the pond for more than three years with no problems though. Koi are really messy and destructive and although they are beautiful are just not worth the trade-off to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden