Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:34 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,336,306 times

Advertisements

I hit my tree in the front yard, not sure what type of tree it is. I made a big gash on the side and it pulled off about a 6 inch piece of bark. The tree is about 4 inches wide at the base, and approxamately 20' high. The leaves started turning a dark color after this.

How can I save this tree? Is there any hope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 PM

593 posts, read 2,897,694 times
Can't say without taking a look at it. When did the crash occur?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:45 AM

228 posts, read 1,002,068 times
Probably only time will tell. Go to your local lawn and garden center and get something to treat the wound with, and make sure you water it as usual, and hope it springs back from its jolt!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:38 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,865,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I hit my tree in the front yard, not sure what type of tree it is. I made a big gash on the side and it pulled off about a 6 inch piece of bark. The tree is about 4 inches wide at the base, and approxamately 20' high. The leaves started turning a dark color after this.

How can I save this tree? Is there any hope
There is a chance that the tree will survive IF, the bark that was lost didn't go all the way around the tree. If there is even just a couple of inches of bark that kept the bark loss from going all the way around the tree you should go and get some type of Tree Heal ASAP and put it on the wound.

If the bark loss went all the way around the tree leaving a gap even a 1/4 inch wide then there is very little hope it will survive especially if the gap is even larger than a 1/4 inch.

The leaves turning dark is from several reasons, 1) shock and 2) because of the bark loss it is not getting enough sap up to the leaves. That is why you need to get some sort of Tree Heal ASAP.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:54 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,314,302 times
We were away for awhile in the winter, and returned to find our dogwood had a huge fir branch come down and sliced a major part of the trunk off, right down the middle near the bottom.

Was advised by a good local nursery that the paint-on-stuff doesn't usually work, and that it would have had a better chance if we'd caught it right away.

Thought maybe about wrapping it to protect it, but was advised to just leave it alone. Someone had thrown the trunk piece away anyway. But if we'd been there when it happened, I might have tried to wrap the piece back together with the tree just so it didn't dry out and the sap would still run.

In your case, I'd try and put the peeled bark in place and wrap it for a bit?

Actually, our tree is still alive and very healthy .. hope you have the same luck.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:06 AM

32,968 posts, read 36,456,285 times
"The leaves turned a dark color." Have the leaves just changed color a bit or are they turning brown and dying, falling off? All of the leaves or just some of them?

Water the tree as necessary. How to water your tree

It sounds as thought the tree is in shock and may drop those leaves. If you're lucky, it will leaf out again and be OK. OTOH, it may just decline and die. You're just going to have to watch and wait.

I wouldn't use a tree wound dressing. http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%2...d%20sealer.pdf

Old 07-14-2009, 10:18 AM

ok thanks for all the advice. Thank you all

Old 07-14-2009, 10:41 AM

593 posts, read 2,897,694 times
Listen to me carefully.....

DO NOT TREAT THE WOUND WITH WOUND SEALER.

Call an certified arborist if this is a tree you want to save.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Listen to me carefully.....

DO NOT TREAT THE WOUND WITH WOUND SEALER.

Call an certified arborist if this is a tree you want to save.
thanks

Old 09-24-2009, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,424 times
I have a sicamore tree about 30 ft. tall and about 18-24 in. in diameter. Unfortunately several boys picked off its bark in two places forming a 1ft. circle about 4 ft. from the ground. What can I do to save the tree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden