Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,931,061 times

Advertisements

but I'm not sure which one.

I had several pine trees taken down in my backyard, because they were leaning towards my house. That left me exposed to my neighbors. I'd like to plant at least 3 evergreen trees, but I don't want anything to grow beyond 30 feet in height and 10 feet in diameter. I'd like the trees to be thick, green and low maintenance. It also must thrive in the mid-Atlantic region.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,478 times
Sounds like a job for Nelly R. Stevens Holly

Old 10-31-2012, 02:09 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,931,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Thanks! Nice looking tree.

Do you have any alternatives that would look good next to the Stevens Holly?

I don't want a uniform look.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:50 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
I planted a couple of Nellie Stevens in Spring, and I like them already. I am in MD and perhaps a couple of the suggestions below would be helpful. My recommendations are based on my experience in Z7:

1. Juniper - Junipers are great for Full-sun and are salt-tolerant. There are larger ones including juniperus virginiana, which is native. Junipers are not happy in wet soil. Check for disease-resistant cultivars here: HGIC 2056 Juniper Diseases & Insect Pests : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

2. Ilex Opaca - There's one on my rental property and it is about 20-30 feet tall. I got a few small ones and they're growing fairly fast, and are salt-tolerant (road friendly) and wet tolerant. You can try St. Mary's or Satyr Hill cultivars which should get to about 30 ft.

3. Arborvitae - These grow slowly, so I'd recommend a bigger tree. I have the straight native, as well as the "narrow" small ones such as emerald green. But there are cultivars which are in the size range you want. Arborvitae are wet-tolerant and enjoy a more alkaline soil (near sidewalk etc)..but Not salt-tolerant.

3 can be OK in partial shade in my experience. 2 can be OK in denser shade.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:13 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,778,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
My first thought on reading the OP! Nellies are great for privacy and generally keep a good shape if not planted too closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I planted a couple of Nellie Stevens in Spring, and I like them already. I am in MD and perhaps a couple of the suggestions below would be helpful. My recommendations are based on my experience in Z7:

2. Ilex Opaca - There's one on my rental property and it is about 20-30 feet tall. I got a few small ones and they're growing fairly fast, and are salt-tolerant (road friendly) and wet tolerant. You can try St. Mary's or Satyr Hill cultivars which should get to about 30 ft. Good choice but they are pretty slow to get big enough for instant privacy. That 30 footer must be pretty old since that is maximum mature height. I agree on general recommendation except can't figure out the preoccupation with road salt on all your posts. It is in the backyard, it shouldn't be important unless it backs up to the municipal salt depot.

3. Arborvitae - These grow slowly, so I'd recommend a bigger tree. I have the straight native, as well as the "narrow" small ones such as emerald green. But there are cultivars which are in the size range you want. Arborvitae are wet-tolerant and enjoy a more alkaline soil (near sidewalk etc)..but Not salt-tolerant.

Ummm... again the weird preoccupation with salt tolerant really makes no sense, but the type of tree is certainly a good one to recommend. Thuja occidentalis 'nigra' would be a good contrast to the Nellies and tops out at 30 feet eventually. Emerald greens are slow growing and short (maxing out at 14-15 feet) but would make a great contrast in front of the Nellies to keep that "wall look" to a minimum. They are very dense when kept healthy.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:29 AM

24,394 posts, read 23,048,028 times
Arborvitae. But I see many new ones that die from lack or water during dry spells so water them when needed.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:41 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Maybe some cold tolerant Southern Magnolias.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:52 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,294,313 times
I suggest Chinese Elm hedges. They are native to Siberia, so they will withstand cold temps. They grow very fast and are dense and sturdy. A link:

Stark Bro's - Chinese Elm Hedge - Additional Garden Plants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden