U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 01:12 PM

7,820 posts, read 11,145,784 times

Advertisements

I just bought a bag of bulbs from one of big box stores, 100 bulbs for $15, but I am not quite convinced it's worth the effort to plant these guys. Planting itself is really not much effort. Afterall, I already have the flower bed nicely dug, soften the soil (tough alabama clay), so it's just dig hole, put in bone meal, plant bulb, cover up and repeat.

But they bloom only for ~2 weeks out of the year, taking up precious real estate (flower bed space), and I'll have to wait upto 6 months to see those ... and only for 2 weeks.

Are they worth it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 01:16 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,810,986 times
Absolutely. And you'll remember in the longer, coolest part of winter, that you'll have something to look forward to. And they multiply. The biggest, most colorful bang for your $$$.
I wish I could grow them in 10a. One more thing I miss down here.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:39 PM

40,006 posts, read 51,839,606 times
My favorite flower, then glads, last by a real long way is roses with a bunch ahead of them.

You can grow them in pots in 10a, just chill the bulbs in the fridge for a few weeks then pot them up.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:42 PM

20,416 posts, read 43,072,116 times
Not worth the trouble here....
they just last a season until the critters find them and eat the bulbs.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:21 PM

36,502 posts, read 50,259,978 times
Actually tulips are considered annuals in the south. You might get lucky and have a few come back but don't count on it. Also they are deer candy,. Still if somebody gave me a free bag of tulips I would definitely plant them. For my money I go with daffodils as deer don't touch them and they do multiply if you leave the foliage alone and let it die back naturally.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:04 PM

185 posts, read 671,106 times
They are worth it to me. Depends on what type you have. There is an all season type that blooms from late Feb. thru May. You may have a longer bloom time than you think. Check the bag and see if it's the mixed season type.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:06 AM

855 posts, read 2,306,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Absolutely. And you'll remember in the longer, coolest part of winter, that you'll have something to look forward to.
I second that, especially here further north. I've been planting them for a few years now and after a cold winter, the very first thing we see in the spring is the crocuses coming up and we know the tulips won't be far behind.

While it's true that they don't last long, they're a bridge between nothing in our beds in early spring to the point where our perennials and shrubs start coming around. They don't all bloom at the exact same time either so there can be some overlap.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:50 AM

22,881 posts, read 20,751,503 times
We have many tulip bulbs planted and don't do as much with them as we should( dig them up and seperate them) as well as daffodils and hyacinth. They still have a pretty nice display around Easter in the Spring. But when we plant the summer perennials its always a little tricky. I plant them right over the bulbs and am careful to watch where I plant. I also wait until the tulip leaves are dead and dried up so I have an idea whats under the surface. Then I just plant right next to them and remove the leaves as I go.
Crocus are a fun plant to watch and wait for. I've seen the first snow drops bloom in January if there's a warm spell, the last two years it seemed much later towards the end of February or even early March when they finally bloomed.
Daffodils from pots go into the lawn near shrubs and around trees after they're done blooming and some neighbors who have been doing this for years have some really nice beds coming up. Others just dump them across the street in the woods and you see them coming up almost like they're wild. Here's a tip: Go to cemetaries later in the spring and check the trash bins for discarded pots with bulbs.
And if you don't like tulips they have pansies that seem to be almost year round and very cold resistant. We plant a few and they're the last flowers left in the winter until snow and a deep freeze get them.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:54 AM

1,076 posts, read 4,154,491 times
Worth it to me also.

Although I'm a lazy tulip grower .. only did the bone meal thing once. Seemed the squirrels were awfully interested in digging up and eating the bulbs back then, and I'm sure it was the bone meal that enticed them. or raccoons.

Instead of the bone meal, just plant more bulbs each fall and plunk them in the ground here and there.
Really like the 'mixed' bag of tulip bulbs .. get the early to late blooming varieties. I love watching them grow, look forward to seeing what pops up where, colour, .. design, variety. They're my all-time favourite flower also.

Gee, that would be heartbreaking to lose your tulips to deer all the time time.

Hadn't a clue that tulips act as annuals in some areas. That's part of the charm of the tulips, having them pop up on their own each year.

There's a place called La Conner in WA that's known for growing tulips. Fields upon fields of gorgeous colour!

I'd love to see the tulip fields in Holland one day. The gorgeous varieties they have that we don't see mainstream over here.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:45 AM

4,900 posts, read 7,957,291 times
They don't multiply or return in the South, unless they're those small "species" tulips. New bulbs have to be planted every year here. The OP is in Alabama...probably won't come back for him. I've never planted any tulips because it takes so many for them to give a good display (all that work for a couple weeks of bloom!), and also I almost never plant annuals except for two concrete planters on my front porch. (which, btw, have been absolutely beautiful this year, owing to plenty of homemade compost in the mix and lots of rain...planted impatiens this year and have not even had to shear them back because of "legginess". I took pictures yesterday, and if I get ambitious, I might post them later.)

The suggestion of planting them in a container was good. I might try that this year for my front porch pots. I do like tulips, they're such an interesting shape and have such beautiful colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden