Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 06:41 PM

14 posts, read 29,293 times

Advertisements

I have a Gold Star Esperanza and there is a white, cottony-like something growing on it. HELP!
Years ago at a previous job, one of the plants had this and the employees tried to get rid of it to no avail. It ended up "spreading" to the other plants.
We ended up throwing them all out.
I do not want to do that if I can help it.

Does anyone know what this is?
And more important, HOW do I get rid of it?
THANKS for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 07:20 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Hairy aphids. Spectracide (http://www.spectracide.com/ProductCategories/OutdoorInsecticide/GardenInsect/ - broken link)makes a product. I used it a couple months ago on my pyracantha. All 3 had them. You'll need to treat it at least twice, then hose them off with a high pressure stream of water.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:21 PM

Oops...wooly aphids.

wooly aphids - Google Images

Old 10-17-2009, 07:32 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Sounds more like mealy bugs to me.

"Mealy bugs have small soft white or pink bodies. In addition, they secrete a fluffy white wax which makes the plant leaf or stem look as if tiny bits of cotton are stuck to it. Infected leaves may be covered with small white spots. Leaves will fall off of the plant, black sooty mold may grow, and eventually the plant may die. In the meantime it is unsightly and a risk to healthy plants. Isolate any infected plant immediately. Destroy heavily infected plants. Spray a mixture of alcohol and water directly onto the mealy bugs if there are a large number of them. If only a few mealy bugs are seen, dip a cotton swab in alcohol and dab the insects to remove the waxy coating that protects them. Then spray the plant with a foliar spray or a root systemic insecticide. Repeat these steps at weekly intervals until no more mealy bugs are seen. Be sure the pesticide is designed for indoor plants and follow all pesticide directions carefully."

Excerpted from this link INDOOR PLANT PESTS (http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/winpest.html - broken link)

Old 10-18-2009, 12:04 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Hairy aphids. Spectracide (http://www.spectracide.com/ProductCategories/OutdoorInsecticide/GardenInsect/ - broken link)makes a product. I used it a couple months ago on my pyracantha. All 3 had them. You'll need to treat it at least twice, then hose them off with a high pressure stream of water.
Gah! You actually tried to save a pyracantha?? It's on my Top Ten list of plants I love to hate.

It's right up there with New Zealand Flax, yuccas, and other sharp pointy indestructible vegetation that grows out of bounds and is impossible to eradicate once established.

Pyracantha!?

Old 10-18-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Gah! You actually tried to save a pyracantha?? It's on my Top Ten list of plants I love to hate.

It's right up there with New Zealand Flax, yuccas, and other sharp pointy indestructible vegetation that grows out of bounds and is impossible to eradicate once established.

Pyracantha!?
Pyracantha has its place, far away from the house, at the edge of the property, backing up to a wooded area where lots of birds live and breed. I'd never grow it as a specimen plant and surely not try to keep it in check.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:05 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
Aphids?

Google Image Result for http://www.plantanswers.com/arcadia_pages/plant_of_the_month/gold_star_files/tecomastans.jpg

Old 10-18-2009, 12:39 PM

If it's covered with a cottony like substance, that's Mealy Bugs.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:48 AM

955 posts, read 4,087,917 times
Pictures would be helpful. Given the brief description, it could also be slime mold - not likely, but possible.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:06 AM

Default here's a good link for Mealy Bug information....

Garden Article: All About Mealybugs | All About Mealy bugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden