Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:29 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,969 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase a couple of these. Thanks!

Pic is kinda small, sorry. You can look in my profile and make it larger. I'm not sure how to make it larger for this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 02:40 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Pompous Grass I believe!! Or Pampas...

http://www.sspictures.fsnet.co.uk/im...as%20grass.jpg

http://dovecreekgardens.com/images%2Fproducts%2FPampas_Grass.gif (broken link)

Old 10-24-2009, 03:59 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Yes, that's Pampas grass and if you ever plant one, you'll never get rid of it. I've got several the previous owner planted alongside the house and, while they're colorful, they're a royal pain in the butt.

You can cut 'em, dig 'em up, burn 'em...doesn't matter. They'll come right back. In the winter, they're a fire hazard because the leaves get brittle and dry. In the spring and summer, they'll cut your legs if you walk around them in shorts. The new leaves and stems die, but don't fall out unless you pull them out. That means the clump grows bigger each year and, if you decide to trim them back, you have to cut each leaf separately because they're so tough. Don't even think about cutting them down with a chainsaw unless you just WANT to pick strings out of the sprocket for an hour or two.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:31 PM

381 posts, read 1,365,687 times
They're a HUGE pain in the butt. We had one at our last house. It required a lot of maintenance, and like the pp said, they got bigger and bigger every year. And less and less attractive. HATED that thing.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:29 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,969 times
Hahaha.........yikes! Thanks for the tips!

Any suggestions to replace that one? I'm looking to hide cable and electrical utility boxes in my front lawn.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:54 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
"Any suggestions to replace that one? I'm looking to hide cable and electrical utility boxes in my front lawn."

Kudzu?

It'll make a difference where you are located. You can't plant anything with deep or intrusive roots, and remember to call before digging. If you keep it trimmed, Arbor Vitae stays green all year and fills out, while having fairly shallow roots.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:06 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Any suggestions to replace that one?
Cannibis Sativa

Old 10-25-2009, 05:33 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,155,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
Hahaha.........yikes! Thanks for the tips!

Any suggestions to replace that one? I'm looking to hide cable and electrical utility boxes in my front lawn.
Miscanthus Cosmopolitan is nice. I have it in my yard. It's sterile so the seeds won't scatter all over the yard. It grows about 4-5' wide and 6+' tall. The seed stalks when mature may reach over 9' tall. I like the variegation.

I don't hate pampas grass. I have some in my yard that I planted. You just have to give it the room it requires and things will be fine.

Here's the miscanthus when I planted it. It was a 1 gallon container purchased at Lowe's.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:04 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, that's Pampas grass and if you ever plant one, you'll never get rid of it. I've got several the previous owner planted alongside the house and, while they're colorful, they're a royal pain in the butt.

You can cut 'em, dig 'em up, burn 'em...doesn't matter. They'll come right back. In the winter, they're a fire hazard because the leaves get brittle and dry. In the spring and summer, they'll cut your legs if you walk around them in shorts. The new leaves and stems die, but don't fall out unless you pull them out. That means the clump grows bigger each year and, if you decide to trim them back, you have to cut each leaf separately because they're so tough. Don't even think about cutting them down with a chainsaw unless you just WANT to pick strings out of the sprocket for an hour or two.
You went through all of this and didn't use Roundup? It will take them down and make them gone forever... in a couple of minutes.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:14 PM

63 posts, read 57,882 times
I love Pompous Grass. When it gets too large burn it off and it will come back beautiful again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden