Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 01:12 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,021 times

Advertisements

At the two acres we just rented, I want to do a soil test on the proposed garden plot for use next spring. I'm especially concerned about testing for soil toxins possibly deposited from a steam plant a few miles away.

Is it best to contact my local county Extension Service to do this, or contract with a private lab? Has anyone had this done and been satisfied with the results?

I am in Thurston County in Washington State. Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 01:21 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Any Feed store will sell soil testing kits, as will most hardware stores that also have a lawn and garden section.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:12 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,216 times
Hi
Call your local Ag office and the master gardener desk and they can tell you who to contact and they will be able to answer your concerns over contamination..
I live down from you in the Willamette Valley..

Old 12-10-2009, 01:04 PM

6 posts, read 17,091 times
You could do it yourself by buying a pH checker. You could also have someone come do it (local ag office).

Depending on your results, you can add certain things to fix whatever problems your soil may have.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:38 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,177 times
Mamh has the right idea...

While conducting a basic test with any of the readily available PH testing kits will give you a basic idea of the degree of how Acid or Alkaline the soil in your location may be...Only a broader analysis done by the Ag dept. or a private soil testing company will be able to uncover any additional info.. Which would be especially important if you are looking to raise food crops..

The only drawback can be cost...but, i myself would pay a little more to know that i won't be ingesting harmful degrees of remnant chemicals...

Years ago, i was surprised to learn that the neighborhood i lived in had higher levels of Mercury due to its proximity to a watercourse which drained out of an area where heavy mercury extraction was done decades earlier...

Now, while the levels cited were still considered safe, it was advised not to consume things like the Blackberries growing along the nearby creek in large amounts for extended periods of time..Apparently, they absorb the Methyl type of Mercury present in the water.. This form also is easily transported via dust as well..so it also was good to know since we lived next to a busy road and the local water dept. stored project material in the flood plain across the street..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden