Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 05:01 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times

Advertisements

I love this forum, there are so many interesting questions asked as well as wonderful pictures posted.

I was thinking this morning how helpful it would be if when you post a gardening,plant lawn etc question if we had a general idea of your location.
I know the lawn issues we have here in NE FL are different than the lawn issues they have in the NE.

Zone 9 here in NE FL is different than zone 9 in California.

Anyone else agree ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 04:44 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
That is a great idea Karla, especially fi their location is no noted. ... that is the first place i look if I'm going to try and answer a question.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:36 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,055 times
Excellent idea Karla, i also agree that this will help better answer questions..and yes, your region of zone 9 is different than the part of zone 9 i just moved away from back in CA. I would almost compare your part of this zone to some of the more inland spots around the S.F. bay area or warmer areas in the Central Valley..just with more humidity during the summer and overall precipitation through out the entire year..especially during the summers..We're lucky if we'd get .05 of an inch all summer..Glad to be here in along the FL. Gulf coast where the weather is more exciting lol..

Old 11-10-2009, 08:41 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Karla we are both in zone 9. But my nine is not like your nine even in the same state. Here is a link that may be of use to folks who need to look up their zone.

USDA Zones

Old 11-11-2009, 03:47 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
I agree, it would be helpful if the zone and maybe location was in the title. Here is another version of the zone map that was released in '06 which seems more accurate about FL at least.

2006_zones.jpg (image)

Old 11-11-2009, 04:04 PM

thanks for posting the zone maps

Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 PM

899 posts, read 2,941,350 times
Karla,
Outstanding idea, I'm in zone 7 in oregon..
The other thing I've noticed is what i can get away with out here meaning what plants will do ect..A lot of the country can't do and vice a versa..

Old 11-11-2009, 04:33 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
What can be deceiving about our zone maps is that a lemon tree will flourish where I am but in the same zone for Karla would require a lot of cold protection in the winter. Somewhere I have a zone map broken down into parts A and B. A being the north end of the zone and B the warmer southern end.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:02 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,055 times
yes..excellent point..because, as you had mentioned, those "A and B" parts of a zone can directly effect the amount of success one might have with things like Citrus trees or sub/Tropicals...or even things like temperature sensitive spring bulbs..

Another thing which is important is how close to a coastal area..or other "miro-climate" type region someone lives in..because even the most detailed maps in my sunset book don't always get the info correct and,for example, my part of San Jose was warmer than areas a couple miles east or south..and the neighborhood my grandparent's home is located in is closer to a large cold drain which funnels cold air out of the nearby hills...

Same thing in the area of FL. im in now..Ive seen various articles put this side of the Tampa Bay Area in zone 10a..while it is a solid 9b further inland and have seen things like Royal Poinciana or Coconut palms growing in places like Lakeland which is a minimal 9b..especially being near the center of the state. Both of these Tropicals are regularly listed for zone 10 at the minimum...and yes, both of these are being reported successfully growing back in Southern CA. beit with alot of effort..

As for the 06' map from the USDA, i was glad to see it updated to reflect changes ive already noticed not only in my backyard, but in several other areas as well...Im sure the next map update will reflect even more changes..slight as they might be. Even a 2 or 3 degree change in winter minimums over a longer stretch of time can open the door of possible plants to someone in a given location.. and im sure there are many who'ed welcome that thought

Last edited by si33; 11-11-2009 at 05:13 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
What can be deceiving about our zone maps is that a lemon tree will flourish where I am but in the same zone for Karla would require a lot of cold protection in the winter.
No kidding Nomadicus

here are a couple shots from last year when a hard freeze came through and I didn't want to pick the 100+ grapefruit that were on the tree

though it did look really cool at night with the heat lamps on

The cold sensitive plants in the screenroom got their own special covering

As si33 mentioned how close to the coast you are makes a huge difference 7 miles to the east won't get a freeze and 18 miles to the west gets frost & freezes when we don't .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden