Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:02 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times

Advertisements

I'm going to see if I can get these to germinate. They are supposed to be easy. But then, that's what I was told about Joe Pye Weed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:37 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
OH heck... I cant grow Joy Pye to save my life... but i'm not giving up. I saw some really mature JPW last summer... it had to be 6' tall.. absolutely stunning.

I know i have "Gateway", "Chocolate" and "Little Joe" ... i'll be trying again... though there is a gal about 20 min from me that has offered some to me.

Huskers is easy to germinate... i have little volunteers popping up .... but my WS'ing of them in 07 - it was like chia-pets... so I just did the HOS thing and have about 8 pretty big clumps of them. The Burgundy foliage is the first thing i see in the Spring and the last thing i see in the Fall. Just love them.

Well, last night I punched holes in the bottoms of 30 jugs ... Now i have to finish the process and then start filling them. We are expecting snow, starting tonight into Friday... so it may be something to do while it's snowing.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:45 AM

I killed three purchased Joe Pye Weeds this year. Oh, and two Chocolate JPW. I planted them. That's all it took. I've given up. If none of the seeds that were on those last three somehow germinate in the beds, it's a plant I won't have.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:21 AM

Here is my first bunch, already buried in the snow.
13 milk jugs.

Smooth Aster, BlueBird
NY Aster, Woods Purple
Hardy Algeratum
Aclaea Simplex, "Elstead"
NY Aster, "Professor Kippenburg"
Monarda, Lemon Balm
M. bradburiana, Horsemint
M. didyma "Panorama Mix"
Blue Delphinium
Erinus alpinus, Alpine Liverwort
Joe Pye, Gateway
NoID Bee Balm
M. Bee Balm, Marshalls Delight

Old 01-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
Here is my first bunch, already buried in the snow.
13 milk jugs.

Smooth Aster, BlueBird
NY Aster, Woods Purple
Hardy Algeratum
Aclaea Simplex, "Elstead"
NY Aster, "Professor Kippenburg"
Monarda, Lemon Balm
M. bradburiana, Horsemint
M. didyma "Panorama Mix"
Blue Delphinium
Erinus alpinus, Alpine Liverwort
Joe Pye, Gateway
NoID Bee Balm
M. Bee Balm, Marshalls Delight
That monarda, lemon balm, is it Monarda citriodora? I sowed that last year. It was a lovely plant. Was told it reseeds well, so I didn't save any seeds though I did get some in a swap. The bees loved it. It's one of the annual varieties so it doesn't seem likely to take over the beds.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:49 AM

yes... that's it. I dont always use the scientific names in my WS spreadsheet.. but in my database i do.

I never got a photo of mine -- I wasn't home much this past summer.

I just loved the aroma of the foliage.

I try to plant plants that attract bees and butterflies... wish i had Hummers here, but i dont get them, though i have plenty of "hummer" nectar plants too.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:21 PM

Almost everything I grow brings in the birds, bees, butterflies, and hummers. We get them here all summer. The goldfinches devoured my salvia subrotunda and zinnias this summer. I'll be sowing a lot more this year.

I've got another 48 containers ready to be sown tomorrow. Just need to get more dirt.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:22 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
paper what a lovely garden you have- thanks for sharing.

That pineapple sage- I had planted it in my garden with other herbs expecting to season poultry with it, and was dumbfounded that it would not die off with the rest of my garden. Salad Burnett was also still going in december, go figure. It delayed some of my manure tilling waiting on them, the remaining bags are now buried in the snow. It took a deep freeze /winter storm strong enough to knock out power lines before it would die off. I hard pruned my hollyhocks on time and... they grew back!

I strategically planted crocus and a few other harbingers of spring but I've never had success with bulb plants try as I may. I'm aiming for perennials as well, being older, I can't count on having infinite steam. Low growing plants that have proven evergreen & exceptionally hardy... Bugleweed - Ajuga reptans

I chose them for their low maint. and tolerance of road salts being so close to the street. They're planted on a city block, the space between the sidewalk and the curb, so no worries about taming the beast, and no whining about ordinance grass height when I'm out of town for a month during grass cutting season. It's paid off so far.

I have tulip bulbs I didn't get around to planting sitting in a bag on my porch. Any ideas what to do about it now? Would your pepsi bottle solve this?

Old 01-13-2010, 10:21 AM

You can plant your tulips in containers until the ground thaws. Or just rip open a bag of potting soil and stick them in there. They'll sprout when the time is right and you can plant them even if they have foliage. Just be careful with them cause it will be tender and easily damaged. They love and need cold weather to bloom. We don't grow them here except as annuals. Our winters aren't usually cold enough for the winter chill.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Sprouts.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden