Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 01:27 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times

Advertisements

Buying a house that has almost 0 landscaping Front and back, sides, it's pitiful.

My knowledge of landscpaing and gardening is pitiful too, but I'm so willing to learn. I just need some guidance if someone knows the answer to a few questions...

Will be closing end of January and be back and forth. When is a good time to start doing landscaping? I believe it's clay soil, what would grow well in this type of soil? What type of plants work well in the upstate area?

I know some of what I'd like, trees that change color with the change of seasons, colorful foliage in bushes, flowers, something that doesn't need a ton of care, grows well in the condition of the area and soil. In the back I'd like fruit trees, grapes, raised bed garden.

First and foremost will be the front - it's screaming out desperately for landscaping! I'd like to find something to plant in front of that porch/deck to hide underneath.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do with what's shown below???

Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 02:38 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
That's a huge property.

Not sure about your idea to plant something in front of the deck? Looks like there are steps and a walkway there.

Part of that yard will have to remain much as it is because of the huge tree. The tree shades out everything underneath it and has a huge root spread. Nothing would grow there and it would be all but impossible to dig.

What I would do is use a curved mixed border to delineate an area of usable yard. The mixed border would start at the gas meter running to the left in front of that blank square of house, and then curve around the yard. Between the shade line of the tree and the mixed border and walkway, plant grass.

For the far reaches of the yard--it depends on what you want to look at. There is a pretty property line of trees on one side, no need to do anything there. For the other two sidewalk perimeters, you could plant a shrub hedge for more privacy and sow grass seed in the far yard area. Or you could use part of that far yard area for dedicated vegetable garden.

Unless you hire a landscaper to plan and install the landscaping $$$, you'll have to do it yourself. Doing it yourself is really feasible, it will just take time and some tools. A project of that size done yourself will take a few years, but you just bought the place so I assume you plan to stay for a while--no problem. Ongoing project.

Most beautiful landscapes morph over time anyway, they are not installed in a few weeks with a crew and a bobcat.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:48 PM

Thanks, appreciate the reply and suggestions.

I'm definitely a visual person and have to take some ideas from magazines and books, but knowing what to plant, how to plant and where to plant it, I may have to hire someone to do some initial planting and then maybe I can add to it.

There is a walkway going up to the front door but there is some space there, and lots of space under, would even consider a thin hedge? Need something to cover that area up .

Yes, it's a lot of land, sits on .82 acre - there's not much more in the backyard, maybe a few more trees, but that's it. It will make sure a difference when I get some landscaping - just need to know what, where, when and how now.

THANKS!

Old 12-22-2009, 03:19 AM

672 posts, read 2,112,830 times
You could always ask the folks at the Clemson Botanical Garden.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:54 PM

Thanks Mary Ann, appreciate the info and will definitely look in on the site

Old 12-25-2009, 08:49 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
A tree with good fall color in the south is the Florida Maple (Acer barbatum), it turns a nice orange color and is stronger and more drought resistant than Red Maple.

Near the house you could use something like weeping Yaupon Holly (maybe between those two windows on the left).

If I were you I would install some treated lattice over the bottom of the deck to close it up, and then in the taller section I would plant some well behaved vines like Coral Honeysuckle or native Wisteria frutescens (NOT the rampant Asian type).

If you like colorful foliage you could also use some purple Loropetalum, but avoid overusing it or it will look kinda gawdy. There are also green types that still have pink blooms.

Some will try to sell you on Nandina, but that stuff is as ugly as sin and the birds spread the seeds everywhere.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:58 AM

Thanks Southern, I'll look in to all you mentioned. Wish you lived around that area too, sounds like you know what you're talking about and that's the kind of person I need! I do love colorful foliage, I marvel at the changing of the leaves and having color all year round if possible. Being from SOFLA most of it is just green, not much color at all - boring - can't wait to have color in my yard!!

Do you know what the white trees are called, someone said they were called pear trees and look like upside down pears? I see them in other colors too - I'd love to have those around in the yard.

THANKS!

Old 12-26-2009, 05:19 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Bradford Pears. Don't plant them. The ice storms we get in this area destroy them. They're weak and brittle. If you want a tree that blooms in spring and has nice fall foliage, plant the Cleveland Pear instead. It's less prone to breakage and can stand up better to the severe weather we have.

SNL suggested what I would, lattice along the bottom of the deck. Plant your shrubs on the outside of the sidewalk. In full sun, burford hollies are great. They'll have the red berries of nandina without the reseeding effect. If you find you do like the nandinas, plant the Gulf Stream variety. They don't produce flowers or fruit, but still give you the green and red foliage year round.

I would also stay away from any boxwoods in that area. They tend to dry out in the heat of summer and are easily damaged by cold without ample water. And stay away from any euonymous plants. They get powdery mildew and attract white flies.

For more fall color, oakleaf hydrangeas are nice. Their purple fall foliage is finally killed off in winter, but comes back nice and green each spring. Snowball viburnum has huge white flowers in spring and orange/deep red foliage in fall.

Around the pine, you could plant azaleas and camellias, making sure you add lots of organic material when you plant them. Most people use baled peat moss when planting these. Gardenias can also tolerate some sun, but should be planted in afternoon shade. August Beauty is a selection that, if you can get them to survive the first winter, will bloom on and off several times a year. Osmanthus fragans is another good plant. It'll grow to 8-10' and has tiny white flowers that fill the yard with the fragrance of apricots.

Crape myrtles provide long lasting summer color. They prefer full sun and need lots of air movement around them. Don't crowd them. Forsythia is a great shrub. It blooms in early early spring/late winter. There are yellow and white varieties, though it may be hard to find the white ones in the big box stores.

In mid to late March, take a walk through almost any garden center for an idea about shrubs. Make sure you don't plant shade plants in full sun or vice versa. If you see one, pick up a couple Sweet Shrubs (Calycanthus florida). They have deep maroon colored flowers that smell like bubble gum. In the fall, they have bright yellow foliage.

If you want more ideas, see if you can find the Southern Living Garden Book, Southeast edition. Any plant you can grow here is listed in that book.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:40 AM

99 posts, read 322,843 times
Default new home

congraulations on your new home. i too got into a home in the late fall, november and it looked overwhelming, i started with the lawns they too are a large part of the visual approach. we tried not to use chems but alas the weed did win some, i first limed well and let it sit all winter. cleaned up the debris,leaves and made sure drainage was good, the winter here gives us that opportunity. did an early spring weed and feed, the best deal came knocking in our neighborhood, we didn't sign any lawn contracts, got a great two treatment deal. next i did buy a great garden book at b&n, gardening in the upstae,what grows well, and it really worked,lol. well i have introduced rosemary (herb) lavendar (herb) and some canna right away, they all did very well. the canna were from a local property, people seem very good about sharing plants. also put in elephant ears, and some ivy(be careful with this). some of the hosta do well here just be sure of placement,sun vs shade. i went to the local garden centre, i like lowes, and looked at what periennials were reasonal in price to start. i have gone with perennials in ground to start so as they double up i can move some. i put some pretty delicates in pots for placement. i did lay mulch for weed control and water retention, be careful with this against foundation as it can be a place for creepies. i like mulch but my neighborhood likes pine, i think its a personal choice. i dug up small areas to start and added soil and compost, i get free grinds from starbucks to help with this. your property is very large so take your time,enjoy. the trees are going to be beautiful, imagine a nice bench in the shade with pretty pots around. all the best in the new year.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:42 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
I really like the Dwarf Burning Bush, especially during Autumn, when the leaves turn from green to firey red. Place several plants side-by-side to form a great low-mid height hedge, which normally requires no annual maintenance in the Upstate area.

Other nice bushes/shrubs include the Camellia, Gardenia, Rhododendron (needs shade), Azalea, Hydrangea, Tea Olive, and Boxwood.

Hosta is a great plant in this area as well, since it usually grows without difficulty, regardless of the weather conditions. It is a great plant for flower gardens/beds.

For small trees, I like the Crepe Myrtle, Rose of Sharon, Red Bud, Dogwood, and Japanese Maple.

Trees that look great during Autumn include (among many others) Maple, Sassafras, Tulip Poplar, Perssimon, Hickory, and Silver Birch.

There are numerous flowering plants that do well in the Upstate, so I won't get into attempting to name them all. Roses and Petunias (annual) typically do very well, as do lots of bulb and rhizome plants. My personal favorites are Bearded Irises.

Fruit trees that grow well in this area include apple, asian pear, peach, and perssimon. Nut trees are also plentiful in the Upstate, especially Pecan and Hickory. Grape vines grow well with maintenance, and a great alternative is Muscadine vines. Blackberries, Strawberries, and Blueberries are all very common as well.

Last edited by Skyliner; 12-26-2009 at 07:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden