Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 10:54 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times

Advertisements

Last year we had a lot more grasshoppers than usual. They ruined all of my flowers that I had planted and even ruined the flowers in the hanging baskets. The only flowers that they didn`t touch were the mums but I don`t want to put in mums this year.This year I want to put in some bushes(i think they are called Blue Knight?) and I would like to have some nice flowers. Would anyone know what types of bushes and flowers grasshoppers don`t eat? I`ve heard about that pelet stuff that they eat and die but I`d just rather have flowers and bushes that they won`t touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 09:27 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Well, when I was in W.Africa grasshoppers fried in coconut (isip mbakara) oil were a common food, rather tasty too.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:54 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Last year we had a lot more grasshoppers than usual. They ruined all of my flowers that I had planted and even ruined the flowers in the hanging baskets. The only flowers that they didn`t touch were the mums but I don`t want to put in mums this year.This year I want to put in some bushes(i think they are called Blue Knight?) and I would like to have some nice flowers. Would anyone know what types of bushes and flowers grasshoppers don`t eat? I`ve heard about that pelet stuff that they eat and die but I`d just rather have flowers and bushes that they won`t touch.
I am not an expert on grasshoppers but from my limited grasshopper work with the USDA many years ago, I know grasshopper populations tend to be a lot worst in some years than others. I'm not sure where you are located but most range outbreaks occur when drought conditions exists.

As far as the grasshoppers not touching your Chrysanthemums, this is the plant from which the organic insecticide pyrethrin is derived and the plants sometimes exhibit a repellent effect on insects.

Unfortunately I cannot recommend which other plants would be resistant but you may want to discuss this with your local County Agent or nursery. At any rate, best of luck.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:45 PM

212 posts, read 417,551 times
I sympathize! I live in eastern WY and last year grasshoppers stripped my carefully cultivated xeroscaped garden. I can get heat, cold and drought resistant plants but nothing can stand up to a grasshopper plague. The sadder thing is that it is predicted that they will be even worse this year. My bad luck is that I live in country in the middle of farm land and the farmers spray their crops and the hopppers migrate to my unsprayed acrege. I asked the U of WYO extension farm agent if he had any ideas and the short answer is "no".

I remember a year when I was riding my bicycle down a hill and the grasshoppers were so thick on the highway that I couldn't see the road and they quickly got all over me, in my face,.... ICK!!!! I hope it won't be that bad this summer but signs are that last year's batch laid a lot of eggs.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:15 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,373,059 times
I have a pet grasshopper

Old 01-31-2010, 03:31 PM

When we were kids we would have pet grasshoppers and a tie thread around a leg and have jumping contests. Sometimes we would give them "rides" on a spinning-type grass sprinkler; unfortunately the thread would often get caught and tear the leg off.....we didn't mean to be evil, really.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:08 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
But wouldn't sevin dust or spray keep them off plants?

They're great fish bait too!
When I was quite a bit younger we would catch a grasshopper, pull the wings off and throw them out on the lake. The kicking legs when they try to swim in attracts fisn. Watch the grasshopper disappear!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:37 AM

I tried seven powder on just two of my plants that I really wanted to save and it killed EVERY living thing. I had no bees, butterflies, ladybugs - nothing. I won't do that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden