Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:22 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times

Advertisements

Clear plastic spread over the area for a week with a normal application of roundup should fry the roots. It's supposed to be 98 here today.

I've used plastic before on normal weeds/grass because I hate using Roundup. It takes a few days, but the sun will kill everything with no water, excessive heat, and very little CO2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,681 times
Default Killing Torpedo Grass

How much oil do you add?
Thanks, Sandra in Central Fla

Old 01-27-2012, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Sue View Post
How much oil do you add?
Thanks, Sandra in Central Fla
i would just guess at it. put enough that it cover the area. i will be trying it. my whole yard has it. i think the water from hurricane katrina brought it here. everyone i know has it aswell.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,226 times
I'm about to try the Roundup on my turf where the Torpedo grass is taking over my Bermuda. Is there a particularly good or bad time to do this?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Torpedo Grass.....*shiver*.......!

This weed is unbelieveable! Very, very hard to kill - even the RoundUp rep told me it was impossible with their products . I tried many, many methods and here's what finally worked:

(caveat: I hate using poison and avoid it as much as possible, but after trying to smother it, dig it up, etc., poison seemed the only option and it did work)

Buy the strong concentrate RoundUp - the one with the purple cap

Buy some cheap vegetable oil

Buy a dedicated pump sprayer so you can apply the poison by hand

Then.......

Mix the RoundUp at triple strength (I know, I know, it's terrible !) and some of the vegetable oil, then fill the pump sprayer tank with water. Apply on the blades of torpedo grass while the sun is shining bright. It takes a while to see the effect - a week or two even - but you will see the torpedo grass fry in the sun. The vegetable oil helps to keep the poison on the blades long enough to work .

If this hadn't worked, I was going to set the patch on fire - seriously .
The thing about triple strength is all you're doing is wasting chemicals. The ratio of chemical to water that is listed in their instructions is supposed to be maximum strength. Anything over that is wasted chemical. A friend of mine thought the best weed killer ever was Round Up and diesel. Talked about how quick it killed anything! Problem with that is the diesel will kill everything before the Round Up had a chance to get in the plant.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:09 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmojo View Post
I'm about to try the Roundup on my turf where the Torpedo grass is taking over my Bermuda. Is there a particularly good or bad time to do this?
No. That won't work. The only time you can spray bermuda with roundup and not have it effected by the roundup itself is while it's completely dormant. Seeing as how torpedograss is a warm season grass, they're both actively growing at the same time. The short answer to your question is "never." And I'm not aware of any selective herbicides that will kill the torpedo but leave the bermuda alone. Whether there is a selective for it would be a question for your local landscapers supply house or lawn chemical co.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,128 times
Default Response to Torpedo Grass

OMG, that was funny and great to read. I TOTALLY agree, that stuff is unreal. I have been digging it out, strand by strand, from a bed for days and have NEVER been so frustrated with anything outside, ever, ever ever. I dig and dig and dig and then I find a shoot going down deep, then get a knuckle and then more shoots...that stuff is really unbelievable. CAN'T SOMEBODY REVERSE ENGINEER THE ROOT SYSTEM OF THIS FOR A FOOD PLANT??? THAT would be worth it, trust me. You cannot get rid of this stuff by sweat and hard work, it just beats your pants off. I will try the Roundup and oil, wish me luck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Torpedo Grass.....*shiver*.......!

This weed is unbelieveable! Very, very hard to kill - even the RoundUp rep told me it was impossible with their products . I tried many, many methods and here's what finally worked:

(caveat: I hate using poison and avoid it as much as possible, but after trying to smother it, dig it up, etc., poison seemed the only option and it did work)

Buy the strong concentrate RoundUp - the one with the purple cap

Buy some cheap vegetable oil

Buy a dedicated pump sprayer so you can apply the poison by hand

Then.......

Mix the RoundUp at triple strength (I know, I know, it's terrible !) and some of the vegetable oil, then fill the pump sprayer tank with water. Apply on the blades of torpedo grass while the sun is shining bright. It takes a while to see the effect - a week or two even - but you will see the torpedo grass fry in the sun. The vegetable oil helps to keep the poison on the blades long enough to work .

If this hadn't worked, I was going to set the patch on fire - seriously .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden