U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 02:41 PM

450 posts, read 803,980 times

Advertisements

for growing seeds in a cold climate, indoors, besides a sunny window. Thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 07:50 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,342,068 times
I've done it on occasion with decent success.

Currently my usual window space [in the master bath behind the curtain] it being used for my DH's oak trees .... but it's prefect as it is south facing, and a wide enough ledge and covered to keep the cat away... usually.

Last year i put the little pots in baggies to keep them warmer.

this was from last year. but this time i had the baggies down... but they are 'lunch bag' sized and twisty-tied at the top.

If i do it again this year, i wont get to it until early march. But i also have those "flats" with 8" heavy duty domes. I have a few things in pots right now... [for the cat] but i have to keep them covered or he will eat the seedlings. Once that window is available again, i'll sow my seeds.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:19 AM

OH... i just noticed you said besides a sunny window.

I know many folks do the racks with lights. I dont have that set up... though it would be nice... then i could have lots of coleus.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
OH... i just noticed you said besides a sunny window.

I know many folks do the racks with lights. I dont have that set up... though it would be nice... then i could have lots of coleus.
Have you seen the prices they ask for those racks with lights? I wish I could build one......thanks,

Old 02-11-2010, 05:27 PM

T's Flowers--Make your own lighted floral plant stand.

here is a nifty plant stand with directions on how to make it out of PVC.

I think the lights are most reasonable if you get them from like Lowes, Menards or Home Depot. Racks, i'd have NO idea... best to google it and see various pricing... Or start a thread for "Plant Stands" and see what others think.

since i've never had them, i have absolutely NO idea.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:59 AM

41,210 posts, read 51,004,455 times
You can build one. Just use a common hanging flourescent fixture on chains, so you can raise and lower. Put grow bulbs in it and voila.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:56 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,082,976 times
I use to germinate vegetable seeds in those little dirt pods in a try set in my gas oven. The oven was always warm when it was off due to the pilot light. Obviously, when baking something, the seedlings were removed. I successfully germinated seedlings for zucchini, green beans, and bell peppers that way. I no longer have a gas oven, or I'd continue that method. This oven was an older model in a very old home, so I'm not sure if more current models maintain warmth.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:57 PM

7,730 posts, read 13,151,892 times
I use a metal rack. It used to hold bulbs for sale at our local Lowe's. I paid a buck for it. Any sturdy rack will do. Last year I used a chrome rack with adjustable shelves. Even the plastic ones work.

Get two 4' long shop lights with cords for each shelf. Attach them to a power strip. Attach the power strip to a timer. I use a 12on/12off cycle right now. As spring gets closer I'll make it 18on/6off. Household temperatures are usually fine, but you might want to invest in a heat mat for starting seeds. It'll get them germinating faster. Cooler air temperatures and warm soil gives really good root growth.

I overwinter tender tropicals and keep my cuttings alive here. I rarely start anything from seed, but if I do, I try to get them as close to the lights as possible. Adjustable chains will help with that.

Use sterile soil. Never use heavy, garden soil. If you don't have sterile soil, you can bake it in the over at 250* for 30-45 minutes. That kills any weed seeds or bugs that may be in it. Fungus gnats are a big problem, so bottom water. Instead of using a watering can, set your containers in a larger tray filled with water. They'll absorb the water they need and keep the gnats from laying eggs in the surface of the soil.

I use standard bulbs. If you mix and match, you can use 2 daylight bulbs and two soft white bulbs per shelf and provide almost all the light spectrum the plants need. Don't fertilize too heavily until about 1 month before you can move the plants outside into the shade to harden them off.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:01 PM

4,729 posts, read 9,101,305 times
Depending where your flats are, you might also need to consider soil temp not just lights. The lights work to keep them a little warmer, but if they're in a basement/porch or someplace else that's pretty cold you might need to add some additional heat. I used one of the heat rocks they sell at pet stores for reptiles in the center of my shelf of seedling flats, enclosed the whole shelf (including the cheapo industrial flourescent light bars) with a tent of clear plastic. That set up kept warm enough that even though we got a heavy frost and a couple inches of snow, my corn and tomato seedlings did just fine in their tent.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
T's Flowers--Make your own lighted floral plant stand.

here is a nifty plant stand with directions on how to make it out of PVC.

I think the lights are most reasonable if you get them from like Lowes, Menards or Home Depot. Racks, i'd have NO idea... best to google it and see various pricing... Or start a thread for "Plant Stands" and see what others think.

since i've never had them, i have absolutely NO idea.
You are so gracious, thank you so much......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden