Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 03:12 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times

Advertisements

On a $40.00 bag, I often find myself in the twilight zone. Thank you for asking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 05:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

According to the nice people at the Arbor Day Foundation. Which also seems to think they should not ship me a tree. Dang! Is EVERYBODY upset with Arizona?

Old 07-13-2011, 12:08 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,542 times
I apparently live in the No Grow Zone.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:55 PM

37 posts, read 66,581 times
I'm Zone 4b if I want to be on the safe side.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:07 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
Zone 7a. Heat zone 7. Easy to remember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

LOL They do leave Alaska out a lot don't they? I know more than one gardener in Alaska and have seen pictures of things they can grow as well as all the wild flowers. Some links seem to leave out Alaska but it does have zones. Try the following: USNA - USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map: Alaska

I noticed a few western (especially west of the Rockies) gardeners reply about being in a range of zones. More and more plant sellers have been including alternative information like the Sunset zones to help with deciding what grows well. You can also use the maps that are based on zip codes to get a more exact zone.

As to the zones on LI, I was kind of surprised to see it initially but it is an effect of the ocean currents and the eastern tip, like the Islands of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard end up with a milder winter than in any other direction from NYC. The zones were bumped up a lot from the original map and that may be because with all the roads and buildings covering it it is a bit of a heat sink. I do remember that forsythia would bloom sooner out east then they did on the Queens-Nassau border, and were a full week ahead of anything in Westchester County.

Most of the southern gardeners should really know their heat zones as well. The winters may be milder but some plants will never do well because they suffer in heat (and don't make good deep roots) and then the first cold snap will do them in. People often assume a perennial didn't make it because it couldn't handle the winter. Sometime a full sun plant will need some afternoon sun protection to thrive for the same reason.

Even when you know your zone there are exceptions locally due to elevation and other geographical changes. Even on a single property there are areas that can be warmer or colder, enough to make a difference in a plant making it or not. These are called microclimates.

No one number will let you find the perfect plant, it is a combination of factors. Knowing all the "zones" for your area is a big part of the equation. The rest is more trial and error....

Old 07-16-2011, 02:40 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
We're in 8, but after last winter, I'd say 7 is safer, since it was so cold.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:25 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
On the border of 6b, 7a. The climate's very easy to work around. It's cold and snowy in the winter and hot and sunny in the summer.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:45 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecielos View Post
I'm in Alaska.....Anyone else in colder zones like 3?
We are!
Only I am just beginning to garden here this year...
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

Old 07-17-2011, 07:33 PM

6 posts, read 8,427 times
I'm in 9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden