Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:57 AM

760 posts, read 2,440,821 times

Advertisements

My garden at the last house (we just moved) was 30' X 60' but I let the squash vines grow out into the yard.

My best advice. Compost, compost, compost!! Read all you can on the subject!! That is the key to having a healthy garden without having to resort to chemicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 11:43 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
apx 60 x 100, but it feeds us from harvest to harvest. X-Mass dinner we bought a turkey, a container of sour cream, and a can of cranberry sauce. The rest we grew, which was potatoes, corn, beans, squash, punkin pie, and maple syrup for the squash.

A place up the road makes a local brew, not sure I can say the name or not here, but in any case they give away spent grain, if you mention it is for human cinsumption you get nice grain for breads. My wife will use that mixed with out punkins and add reasins and walnut from the store, and that stuff is great!

I also get spent grain for composting to make dirt/soil since this place was stripped bare long ago. The fist garden here was limited by soil, and that was back breaking work, but now I have surplus soil from making it.

Maybe this year i will offer strawberry plants for sale locally. 3 years ago I bought 5 plants and have nearly 1,000 now. I might see about selling night crawlers too, I started with no worms at all and now they are doing well from ones I found in the woods.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:44 AM

183 posts, read 352,064 times
We used to have a 20x30 garden in our fenced yard. We moved it outside of the fence into raised 4' by 8' raised boxes 6 inches high with wire. Ground squirrels dug under and stole a lot of veggies. This year I am raising them to 18 inches high and attaching mesh to the bottom. We have four of those raised planters, three half whiskey barrels for potatoes and a few other miscellaneous pots and planters for other stuff.

I definitively like the raised beds better than gardening at ground level. Easier to tend and to work. Hopefully the mesh will curb the ground squirrels. I don't think they can climb, so the 18 inch boxes should be fine.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:59 AM

10 posts, read 18,833 times
i have about 400 sf. It's a little hard to tell, it is not just a rectangle, it kind of undulates from one end of the yard to the other. It is bordered by some nice big rocks to keep the plants in and the grass out. I have half flowers, half vegetables, and a little berry patch in one sunny corner. Tomatoes (which I don't dare put in yet here in Colorado because of the crazy weather), corn, peas, beans, carrots, lettuce, squash, watermelon, and pumpkin.

My flowers are a mix of annuals and perennials, climbers like moonflower, morning glory, and nasturtium, and flowers like delphinium, poppy, lupine, columbine, ipomopsis, sweet william, cosmos, echinacea, forgetmenots, fouroclock, gazania, zinnia, salvia, balsam, canterbury bells, aubrieta, lillies, glads, shastas, dahlias, pansies, snapdragons, hollyhocks, and some more. I just moved here from Iowa where everything grew no matter what you did to it. The dirt here is a little different, and alot drier and rockier... Lots of mule deer here, but the dogs are on active guard duty...We'll see how it goes.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:16 PM

200 posts, read 308,051 times
I guess my garden is about fourty by fifty feet (I haven't measured it). I have green beans up, tomatoes blooming (three of twenty five), lima beans, okra, squash, cucumbers, cantelope, watermellon, onions,and some gourds. The limas and cukes are just coming up as with the watermellon.
I also have some green peas and purple hull peas in the ground.

I like intense gardening.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:32 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
How big is your garden?

It isn't really that big, it is just really full of stuff, it measures 35 yards by 20 yards, or 700 yds/squared. I have one row of cabbage family, Broccoli, Cauliflour, head cabbage. .5 row of red onions, .5 row of texas sweets. 1/3 row of garlic, 1/3 row of yellow squash, 1/3 row of zucchini. my second planting of squash was a half a row of each, planted after the first part of a row was above ground. will have a third planting again half and half. I have one full row of tomato plants (36), the next row is 30 pepper plants, poblano, jalapeno, and sweet banana-the other six plants are tomatos. My first planting of corn is above ground, one row, second planting was two days ago, another row-when the second planting is above ground, I will have 4 rows of corn, two are a variety called "Incredible" it lives up to its' name, the second is called "peaches and cream" a new variety, thought I'd give it a try. I have a half row each of watermelon (sugar baby) and cantalope. Haven't decided if I wanna do potatoes or not (we have red clay, mine is well worked and now resembles real dirt) and,...I will have one row of okra. The plants are arranged by height, the tallest (corn, okra) are in the back (north) the smaller (vines), onion,& garlic are the first rows (south). My fruit trees, apples, peaches, cherries, one plum are in the back yard, my veggies are in the front, each half is about 1.25 acres the rest of our property is woods w/creek. Initially, red clay is a pain in the butt to work with, but, over time w/a good amt of mulch, it really does turn into real topsoil, good real topsoil. The clay is quite rich and will grow lots of things, ...don't plant peanuts or potatos, you will never get all of them out of the ground.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:10 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
About 30' x 60' . Usually I have more plans and ambitions than the room for all the veggies I want to plant. This year, I am increasing room - removing hot weather lovers, tomatoes and peppers, off my patch and into cold boxes (we have Maine-like climate, not enough hot days for heat-loving veggies), and strawberries into vertical boxes with holes for plants. For a beginner, 10'x10' - 10'x20' is a good size to get a feel about what you could manage the next year.

Strongly agree with composting - even though I compost plants, chicken poop and scraps, my efforts can't satisfy my increasing activity. I need to get my hands on external supplements for compost, - manure from farms, seaweed, etc.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:09 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
I have two gardens: my husband's guestimate for one is 60 x 40 and 50 x 50 for the other. We are having an early spring and the ground looks dry enough to till after a very wet year last year. First I have some manure to spread but I can't wait to get started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden