Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 03:46 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,435,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
In a neighborhood with an HOA you would probably have to get approval for a new drive AND an poor choice in paint color...that's why some people choose to live in areas with strict HOA's, to avoid discussions like these.
And that's why some people would never live in an HOA, why we hear stories of HOA boards stepping on people's yard with a ruler to measure the length of their grass, of boards issuing huge fines because a weed managed to take root in someone's yard, of 80 something year old lady getting kicked out of her home that her and her late husband paid out in full, or telling a Marine vet he can't have US Marine stickers on his personal vehicle. Death to HOAs and the communist who support them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 03:51 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,435,481 times
Oh my stars and garters! You poor poor thing. You can see your neighbor's dish. So what. He can probably see your face so you're even. Did you even think, maybe he has a very good reason for locating the dish at that spot? My parents put their satellite dish far away from their home along the tree line and it overlooks the neighbor's back yard. Why? Because the trees are too tall for the dish to get a clear signal from the roof of their home and a dish mounted to the roof of a home in south Louisiana will get blown away in a hurricane.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:01 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,517,854 times
You all have beat me up pretty good. My venting is done. I got out and fertilized my Leyland cypress trees and by the end of the summer, they should screen quite a bit. Also another cypress planted in the right spot will completly tale care of it.

I don't know if some of you read that we actually maintained this landscaped mound together. There was always conversation and concern as to how to make it look appealing. I am betting that the dish installer convinced them to put it there.

The amusing thing is that they have a Leyland Cypress about two feet in front of the dish. In two years, it will interfer with their reception.

I am not mad, because "They know not what they do".

Old 02-28-2010, 09:20 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,404,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
You all have beat me up pretty good. My venting is done. I got out and fertilized my Leyland cypress trees and by the end of the summer, they should screen quite a bit. Also another cypress planted in the right spot will completly tale care of it.

I don't know if some of you read that we actually maintained this landscaped mound together. There was always conversation and concern as to how to make it look appealing. I am betting that the dish installer convinced them to put it there.

The amusing thing is that they have a Leyland Cypress about two feet in front of the dish. In two years, it will interfer with their reception.

I am not mad, because "They know not what they do".
No I will guarantee they missed it!
They just saw dish in my neighbors yard blocking my view! Ha

Old 02-28-2010, 09:28 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,566,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
I am really upset by my neighbor. They did not even discuss with us beforehand. We are good neighbors and certainly would ask if it would be okay. We have even go so far as to go halves in what we thought was taking down a tree which is on their property. As it turned out they got someone who said the tree could be saved (it was 2/3 dead), and they topped it off and cleaned up some dead branches. It looks terrible. Now right next to the monster tree is a five foot pole with a dish attached. We have a beautiful deck and use it often......had a wonderful view.
We have our dish attached to the house as do our other neighbors. Maybe the dish guy was lazy and didn't want to go up a ladder in the cold.

It is pointless to check with HOA because it is not yet turned over to the homeowner's and the builder would not get involved. I don't want to make enemies with them. But I feel they were complete jerks to do this without mentioning anything to us. Oh they did leave a message on our machine yesterday saying they wanted to "talk" to us about something. Well, that's nice. I come come and there it is already.

We just had them over for a super bowl party.

I know it can be screened with some Leyland cypress. But I will never feel friendly to them again.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:17 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,307,413 times
your only recourse is to block the view with some fastgrowing bushes, or to put up a privacy fence.

Unfortunately you cannot control what your neighbors do to their backyards. Good or bad. If what neighbors do bothers you, you must move to a place where you are far enough away where you cannot see, smell or hear what your neighbors are doing. This would require a minimum of 10 acres I suspect.

You are just lucky that your development does not allow livestock - roosters, pigs, dog kennels and all that (like ours does)... that is a real nightmare. as we have a sociopathic NFH (neighborfromhell)

Your only recourse is landscape screening - get on it quickly and you will be MUCH happier! just do involve yourself with these people as little as possible if what they do bothers you.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:16 AM

8,820 posts, read 15,261,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
And that's why some people would never live in an HOA, why we hear stories of HOA boards stepping on people's yard with a ruler to measure the length of their grass, of boards issuing huge fines because a weed managed to take root in someone's yard, of 80 something year old lady getting kicked out of her home that her and her late husband paid out in full, or telling a Marine vet he can't have US Marine stickers on his personal vehicle. Death to HOAs and the communist who support them.
I used to live in an HOA. The stories above are exaggerations from my experience. Regarding the satellite dish, per the FCC, an HOA cannot dictate to a homeowner where to put the dish. They can make suggestions, but the FCC rules state that it can be placed wherever it receives the best reception.

I agree with the others though, in the end it is not your yard.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:15 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,900,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
What good would that do? The dish needs to be hooked up to a subscribed receiver.

The O.P. is a perfect example of why I live out in the boonies with multiple acre lots, worry about your own yard.
I know that.

The point would be to make it seem like you are invading on their dish.

I hear you though. I have 1 neighbor. I couldn't live in a subdivision.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:34 AM

28 posts, read 166,753 times
Hey Jude1948 - just wanted to say that I totally understand how you feel. I think the people here have been pretty tough on you when if they were in a similar situation with something that was more important to them (a dish may not bother them, but perhaps something else would), they might feel differently.

We all know you can't control what your neighbors do on their side of the fence, but I can still understand how you would be frustrated about it. We've had issues with people parking their cars in places that posed huge inconveniences for us. We once lived in a cul de sac that had kind of an island in the middle of it where our mailbox was located. Someone would park their junk car up against that island which happened to be directly across from our driveway. It made getting out of our drive without hitting them quite difficult and it was rude of them to do it to say the least. They didn't even live next to us. The lived across from the cul de sac several houses down! It made me wonder if they were hoping we would accidentally hit so they could replace the car out of our pocketbook. People thought I shouldn't get all uptight about that when it is, after all, a public area and they are allowed to park there. But it was still rude and it would have been me paying the price for hitting them had I ever had an accident. I'm just thankful I managed to get around their car each time.

In any case, I know this is a somewhat different situation, but sometimes you just gotta vent! I'm glad you decided to do something productive (and legal) about it without letting the naysayers bother you too much. I think talking to your neighbors about it would be a good place to start. They may have thought nothing of a dish and not realized that it would be a problem for you. You never know. . . But if that fails to work, you are completely within your right to block the sight of it from your side of the property line with a fence or your trees.

Either way, I hope everything works out for both you and your neighbors in the end!!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:35 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,680,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
And if anyone even knew anything about installing them they would know you don't climb up on your roof in the middle of the WORST winter the north east has seen in years...
Jude, has it occurred to you that maybe, because of the weather, they put that dish out on the hill temporarily? Maybe when the weather clears, they intend to move it to the roof.

At any rate, I would not live in a place where the neighbors need to be consulted then I want to do something in my yard. It just isn't worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden